Polaris 280 not moving and sitting on a front wheel

shaposhalex

Dec 27, 2020
Sugar Land, TX
Hello all. Being new to a pool after purchasing a house with a pool 2 months ago, I have been lucky to learn a lot of tips and tricks on this site, but now I am lost as to what to do to get the Polaris 280 moving in my pool. I have been a few times to Leslie's Pool store and had the Polaris inspected there, where they advised few little things needed adjustments. I pretty much updated everything in the cleaner (although most of the old parts were still operational, given it is only 4 year old and I inherited it from the previous owner). I have new wall fitting and pressure relief valve, back up valve, swivels, wheels and tires, bag, floater, sweeper hose, ball joints. The cleaner was moving slowly in the pool prior to replacing everything, and now it is not moving, just sitting on the front wheel with the back two wheels in the air and the sweeping hose trying to sweep in the water. Pressure coming from the pressure side (once booster pump is turned on appear appropriate).

I will mention that once I removed the pressure relied valve and the wall socket, I did not see restrictor disks (blue or red) installed. I installed the blue disk, but then read somewhere that these disks reduce the pressure and therefore should not be used if the pressure is not enough to move the wheels at the speed of 28-32. Wheels barely move now and are in the air and not ground. I pulled the blue disk, still same thing, just the sweeping hose moving faster. The nuzzle in the back is at 11 o'clock position, the floater is about 1 inch from the back, strong water stream is coming from the nozzle, from the sweeping hose making it move fast, and from the middle.

Before all of the new parts were installed, it was at least moving slowly but not climbing the walls and stuck at corners......now it is sitting on the front wheel, with the back wheels in the air.

Well hello there! So glad you have been able to keep your pool up by reading on here! That makes my heart very happy!

So what kind of filter do you have? (could you please fill in your signature as seen here: Create Your Signature - Further Reading THANKS!)

When was the last time you cleaned your filer? If the filter is dirty that will reduce the pressure to your cleaner so............that could slow it down.

Kim :kim:

Hi Kim,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I will fill the signature shortly. I have a DE Filter and it is clean. Not only I backwashed it a couple of times in the past two months, I also opened it and checked to insure no wholes, washed and put DE back in. I needed to do it as I had a green pull and had to get rid of all of the algae. I inherited the pool with 1800 phos level, and took awhile to get it down to below 100. Now the water is crystal clear and I am on a weekly maintenance schedule. It is a chlorine pool and not salt pool.

When I had a Polaris 380, I would frequently get a small piece of sand pushed into the motor inside the Polaris and that would prevent one or more of the internal jets from working well enough to keep it on the floor of the pool and the wheels turning. You might check the screen filter at the wall connection for the hose and see it it’s clogged. If it is, you can clean it and that may help. But it may only delay the problem if it keeps getting clogged. To fix, you may need to take the Polaris top cover off and blow out the internal jet nozzles with compressed air to remove the dirt particles that are clogging the jets.

After I had to do that the 5th time, it went up on Craigslist and I got a robot.

Reactions: mknauss
If your wheel rotation is less than 28 rpm
• Check the filter screen in the in-line filter for debris that restricts water flow (this is the filter assembly that is on the hose directly after the part that connects to the wall.}
• Clean the skimmer, filter and pump basket, clearing debris that restricts water flow.
• Check the hoses, connections and swivels for leaks that cause loss of water pressure.
• Remove the blue restrictor disk
• If an adjustable valve is installed on the booster pump or cleaner line, open it completely so water can flow freely to the cleaner

From previous posts above it appears you did most of this but just wanted to document the main troubleshooting areas

To level your Polaris, there are 2 things to do, adjust the head float that is directly at the bag level. If you unscrew it, it should not have water in it. Adjust it in or out to help level cleaner.
Second, where is your first float on your hose? Mine is directly above the backup valve but positioning could vary based on your overall pool depth.

As a side note, if you received a 1 year home warranty purchased by the seller and it included your pool equipment, you could make a claim against that to maybe purchase a new cleaner.

Thank you folks, appreciate for great insights. Marty, took me a couple of months of trial and error and following a pool store Green to Clean methodology to normalize all of my water readings. Now I am on a weekly maintenance schedule and following TFP has been very helpful....I realize people are not fans of pool stores around here, and I do think they take a bit of advantage sometimes of the newbie's like me.

Herman/Allen, thanks for the clarifications, wheel rotations are at 24rpm and that is with blue disk removed. My new head floater was sitting 1 inch away from the Polaris unit. I tried to unscrew it and broke the casing it connected to. Now I ordered a replacement. Herman your suggestion on a warranty may be a good one. I do have 3 year pool warranty I purchased with the house. I called them to blow out my skimmer line (I have two and one main drain, where the pool operates on one skimmer and one main drain, the other skimmer is plugged. I tried rubber bladder which ended up exploding and no luck clearing the skimmer line. Ended up having insurance send out a pool company, which ended up putting a full replacement of the skimmer line on a service order, and the pool warranty denying the claim.....Was a waste of time, as I was not going to consent on digging the line out, the pool was just replastered in 2017 and paving was redone with stain concrete in 2019)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So did you follow a SLAM Process to completion?
Weekly maintenance will not keep your pool clean and sanitary, especially during swim season.

Hi Marty, unfortunately I did not learn about SLAM process until TFP. So instead of doing a SLAM process, I went to Leslie's Pool Store, and they gave me quick treatment medicine system they call Green to Clean. It consisted of adding Green to Clean powder that apparently feeds algae, then shocking 3 times with 12 hours in between and finally adding Leslie's Clear Aid. That has been about 1 month ago and since then I have maintained the pool by shocking weekly with either Cal Hypo or Oxidizer shock, scrubbing, vacuuming , using baking soda to increase TA/PH as needed. The water has been clear this month and my readings as of now are: Given my TA is a bit lower (lower than 80) and my PH is on a higher end, should I add some baking soda now, or just wait. Thanks!
FC - 4.5
TC - 4.5
PH - 7.6
TA - 71
CH - 316
CA - 63
Iron - 0
Copper - 0
Phos - 43

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.