Polaris 280 - back wheel not making contact

Otis Campbell

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 5, 2013
Lewisville, TX
I installed a new Polaris 280 last September to replace my 5YO crappy Kreepy Crawly. Worked great until just recently. The back wheel is not making contact with the floor of the pool. Therefore it remains in the deep end and is not crawling up the walls of the pool. It continues to suck things up. In fact we had some storms here recently which put a lot of leaves and debris in the pool. The bag of the Polaris filled up quickly. I'm just not getting the pool coverage that I need since the back wheel isn't propelling the cleaner at all.

I've tinkered a little bit with the head float. I moved it back which now seems to be the wrong direction. Either way the problem didn't get better or worse after I did that. I also made a thrust jet adjustment pointing it up which is supposed to increase climbing. That didn't make any perceivable difference either.

I've read threads on TFP about phantom pebbles and other blockage issues. I can't find anything like that in the system. I've also read about back-up valves stuck in the open position. I don't think I have that problem but for the live of me I can't unscrew the back-up valve to fiddle with it.

Thanks!

No idea on your issue but here is a bump to see if other folks with that type cleaner can help.

Next time consider a robot.

I have a 360 that does the same thing. New to pools and cleaners, but I feel like the back-up valve on mine is positioned on the hose too close to the Polaris causing the rear to rise from the buoyant BUV. Not sure how I'd fix that if it was the problem.

Turns out the problem was user error. When I installed this myself I apparently didn't read the instructions carefully enough. I remember being in a hurry. Anyway, I had my back up valve pointed in the wrong direction and one of the feed hose nuts was also going in the wrong direction. :hammer: I'm not sure why it worked well for a few months before it started acting up.

How did I figure this out? At my pool store of all places. Pool stores get bashed on this forum and deservedly so. However I have a Sparkle Bright near me that is run by a stand up guy. He knows I do most of my stuff myself. I buy salt and muriatic acid from him because he's super convenient and his prices are close to if not equal to Lowes. He gives me great advice when I have an issue even though he makes next to nothing off of me.

I told him about my trouble with the 280 and he suggested a few things. Everything he suggested checked out so he told me to bring it in to take a look. I had figured out I was leaking water at one of the hose nuts although I did not realize I had installed it wrong. He noticed that right away but suggested I leave it with him. He called me a couple of days later and told me it was ready. When I went in he politely explained what I had done wrong. He did not take the opportunity to suggest I should have bought it from him and had him install it. I asked him what I owed him and he said nothing. "What?" "We don't charge labor on cleaners. We only charge for parts and you didn't need any."

I brought it home and hooked it up. My Polaris is back to buzzing all around my pool and climbing up the walls like a champ. I know there aren't many pool stores that will pass on a chance to charge you but I'm thankful I have one close by.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.