Poison Ivy vine found In Pool?

StephenE

May 10, 2019
NY, USA
I found what appears to have been a part of a poison ivy vine floating in my pool last year around closing time. I do have it on the property, some of it near the patio on the pool that I've since discovered and removed.

My question is, what do I need to do to render the pool safe to use? I'm concerned about my two year old drinking some of the water, and although it will be significantly diluted, the vine was quite decomposed by the time I saw it, and if a mere brush of the plan on the arms gives me blisters, I'm thinking swallowing any of it cannot be good.

I haven't found any other information on the web regarding this, as it's mostly questions regarding swimming with the rash.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, this is certainly a unique question ... and I am not 100% sure of an answer. Generally, chlorine will break down any organics, but I am not sure if the poison would actually be disbursed in the pool or how quickly the chlorine would render it as harmless. Being that you removed it last year, I would guess there is nothing to worry about at this point, but again that is a guess.

Maybe someone else might be able to offer some more informed advice?

Welcome to TFP.

I wouldn't worry about it but I am not a medical professional.

@YippeeSkippy @kimkats @JoyfulNoise thoughts?

With a two year old around I would go on an aggressive spraying program to kill all the poison ivy you have around your property. You have to spray it so it gets killed down to the roots. Just pulling it out leaves roots alive to regrow. I am very allergic to it and over the years have eradicated it from my property.

It should be fine. It’s the oil on the leaves that causes the allergic reaction. After being in the pool for a while, the filter should have have filtered out most of the oil. And the remaining will be significantly diluted to not be a problem. Just make sure you rinse with soap and water after and even if you roll around in the bush, you won’t get a rash.

I’m with @Cephrael on this one. The oils are the issue and they are long gone. Long term exposure to water (hydrolysis) and chlorine oxidation should have easily taken care of the irritant.

First time you go swimming keep a bottle of Benadryl nearby in case any shows sign of an allergic reaction. Otherwise, go enjoy your pool....there are far worse things you can find floating in the water....

Taking a bath in a tub with some bleach immediately after contact has long been a way of avoiding poison oak rash. Thirty -odd years ago when I worked at a Boy Scout Camp, we'd have guys hold their breath and go under and we'd pour bleach over them and they'd scrub furiously as long as they could hold their breath. It seemed to help. Which is a long-winded way of saying don;t worry. The bleach will fix it.

Taking a bath in a tub with some bleach immediately after contact has long been a way of avoiding poison oak rash. Thirty -odd years ago when I worked at a Boy Scout Camp, we'd have guys hold their breath and go under and we'd pour bleach over them and they'd scrub furiously as long as they could hold their breath. It seemed to help. Which is a long-winded way of saying don;t worry. The bleach will fix it.
That’s a bit extreme. Soap and water will work to remove the oil.

I agree with the others. Poison ivy (oak & sumac as well) aren’t actually poisonous. It is oils on that plant that cause a rash & allergic reaction. Get the oils off quickly any you never get the rash. The oils should be long gone by now.
I’m really allergic to the ivy and gotten way worse over the years from repeated exposure. I’m actually dealing with the sumac version at the moment from clearing brush. I wore long sleeves and was exposed when I put the stuff in the wash. :hammer:

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.