plumbing roughed in, Thoughts ? Finished !!

@Kgm

That is flexible pvc, sold under the name TigerFlex. Big debate and controversy over its use vs rigid pvc, specially where termites live because apparently the love it. Pretty common in Canada.

I agree with others. Those sweep 90’s do not look like sch 40. Look like sch 20 designed to be used with central vac systems. We could be wrong but those collars look short.

There is always debate about using dwv sweeps vs schedule 40. IMO. dwv fittings are just fine for pool applications. Sched 40 is better but dwv works. I have had a few on my pool for 12+ years.....no issues.

DWV is not rated at the 180-200 or more psi (as sched 40) but a pool pump is only capable of about 40 psi so it is a non factor.

A pool pro uses sched 40 because it is likely code and, starting from scratch, I would encourage it's use. But if I had already made my cuts, I wouldn't hesitate to us dwv. You have less surface at the joints on dwv so make your joints neat, clean and carefully.

Last edited:
The flex your seeing is the liquid tight for my pump.
Unless your looking at the braided ss line, that was what the past owner used to install a booster pump, which I am getting rid of.
Just an FYI...I am an electrician, not a plumber, but have done some plumbing in the past.
My brother was a plumber before he started his hvac company.
I just sent him a pic, after he stopped laughing he confirmed I bought the wrong fittings (said I should have called him sooner)
I am off to home depot to change out, and he is coming over to help me lay everything out.
Thanks everyone !!!!!

Reactions: Arizonarob
@Kgm

That is flexible pvc, sold under the name TigerFlex. Big debate and controversy over its use vs rigid pvc, specially where termites live because apparently the love it. Pretty common in Canada.

I agree with others. Those sweep 90’s do not look like sch 40. Look like sch 20 designed to be used with central vac systems. We could be wrong but those collars look short.
Well I am in the south and termites are common so I guess I better pass on using that. Although it sure would make replumbing much simpler.

The flex your seeing is the liquid tight for my pump.
I do not have any flex piping in my system
Just an FYI...I am an electrician, not a plumber, but have done some plumbing in the past.
My brother was a plumber before he started his hvac company.
I just sent him a pic, after he stopped laughing he confirmed I bought the wrong fittings (said I should have called him sooner)
I am off to home depot to change out, and he is coming over to help me lay everything out.
Thanks everyone !!!!!
Sorry I was referring to the avatar picture of uxbridgechris

There is always debate about using dwv sweeps vs schedule 40. IMO. dwv fittings are just fine for pool applications. Sched 40 is better but dwv works. I have had a few on my pool for 12+ years.....no issues.

DWV is not rated at the 180 or more 200 psi (as sched 40) but a pool pump is only capable of about 40 psi so it is a non factor.

A pool pro uses sched 40 because it is likely code and, starting from scratch, I would encourage it's use. But if I had already made my cuts, I wouldn't hesitate to us dwv. You have less surface at the joints on dwv so make your joints neat, clean and carefully.

Agree. However, if you have an inspection for a building permit it will almost always fail especially if it's a diy. DWV piping done right with no stressed joints will last a long time as the pressure rating is plenty for most pool applications even though much less than pressure pipe. But the reduced penetration joints are much more susceptable to joint failure for "less than professional" alignment.

Chris

I agree for resale and inspections, along w uniformity, all should be sch 40...There's a lot of corners that could be cut, but IMHO this is not one them, although Dave's points are well taken...good luck on the retrofitting.

Last edited:
Plumbing done, stack and vent done, filter put back together with a new psi valve.
Still have ele., and bonding to do.
we left room for a swg and check valve

Reactions: Arizonarob

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.