Plumbing new pool (suction/return lines and sizing)

duckcmmndr

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 7, 2014
Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I am trying to work out the plumbing layout for my pool. I plan on ordering the kit this week.

18x43x30 True L pool
Hayward 2.7 HP variable speed pump
Hayward 31" sand filter

I want to use 2" plumbing or possibly bigger if necessary.

I will have:
2 - Main drains
2/3 - Skimmers (can't decide yet)
4 - Returns
4 - Deck jets

I know that I will run the 2 main drains together on a 2" line to pump pad and the 2 or 3 skimmers each on their own 2" line to the pump pad.

On the returns...what would be the best setup?
- Each return on it's own 2" line to pump pad (4 lines at pad)
- 2 returns on one 2" line and the other 2 returns on another 2" line to pump pad (2 lines at pad)
- All 4 returns on a single 2" line (1 line at pad)

I read in Hydraulics 101 - Have you lost your head? where "the equivalent size of all the return lines that run from pool to the pump should never exceed the equivalent size of all the suction lines that run from pool to pump or pump cavitation could become an issue". So I just want to make sure I get this all correct.

Also...what is the standard pipe size for deck jets..and should they be separate runs or a single run or a combination of the 2?

That is why pool suction is often 2” and returns are 1.5”. It endures returns are not greater then suction.

Home runs of each return to the equipment pad gives you the most control.

Look at installation manual for the deck jets you are using.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.