Plumbing Feedback

drglanton

Bronze Supporter
Apr 11, 2020
Atlanta
Getting ready for a Fiberglass Install. Any feedback about my plumbing rough design? What am I missing?

"From Pool"
-Main Drain 1
-Main Drain 2
-Skimmer 1
-Poolside suction "Not Used", Have a robot Cleaner. "Future use"

-To the Pool Pump
-Pool Filter Inlet
-3-way valve Pool Drain or Filter Inlet
-Pool filter outlet
-Solar Heater outlet/Bypass
-Solar Heater return
-SWG

" To Pool"
- Pool Return 1
- Pool Return 2
- 4 Deck Jets

-IntelliValves will be on
-Deck Jets

Attachments

• Plumbing.jpg
    Plumbing.jpg
    645 KB · Views: 20
Main drain 1 & 2 need to be T's under the pool to form one main drain that is VGBA compliant - Safety Drains VGBA - Further Reading

Get a sand filter with an MPV that has the WASTE setting so a 3 way valve is not needed there.

With that setup you can end up with unequal flow to each bubbler. Will you care if the bubbles are different among the bubblers?

What bubbler are you planning? The installation guide give any flow rate requirement or requirement for a filter inline?

You understand that right now the IntelliValve is not Intelli and only works as a standard actuator that moves between two preset positions?

I have been researching the loop versus manifold. Which is better for equal flow.

Any recommendations for inline filters?

I am going with Pentair deck jets - 2 on each side.

I want to be able to turn on the deck jets remotely . . . will the "intellivalve" make this happen? Should I include a ball valve to adjust the height?

With deck jets on a manifold you put 2 way diverter valves on each line to adjust the flow. Don't use ball valves they eventually stick and fail.

Pentair Deck Jets or Magic Stream Deck Jet II?

Somehow you moved this design from 4 bubblers to 4 deck jets.

The Jet II manual says:

Each Deck Jet II water feature should be fitted with a ¾” ball valve to allow flow control for each nozzle. For installations involving multiple nozzles, it is recommended to install a 3-way valve on the main line near the pump for overall adjustment.

What jet height are you expecting? I am not sure you will be able to feed 4 deck jets and have much water flow left for your SWG flow and returns.

I would not use a sand filter with four water features. If you do you should put a filter on the supply to them...

Reactions: MyAZPool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@MyAZPool with a Pentair IntelliCenter 5PIC40 where would he plug in an IntelliValve to so he can have a circuit that opens the valve for flow to his deck jets and ramps up the speed of the pump?

Reactions: drglanton
@MyAZPool with a Pentair IntelliCenter 5PIC40 where would he plug in an IntelliValve to so he can have a circuit that opens the valve for flow to his deck jets and ramps up the speed of the pump?
Allen,
If it were me, I would establish a comprehensive return manifold after the the SWG. Then use a 3-way valve w/IntelliValve actuator after the SWG which feeds both the deck jet manifold and pool return manifold.
Looking at the diagram, I would definitely use a heater bypass valve (also IntelliValve controlled). The rest looks pretty good. Regarding the Water Feature Filter, yea I read up ahead and figured it out. lol....
r.

Good idea to bypass the heater for better flow when the deck jets are on.

How many valve actuator sockets does he get in a non-PS 5P IntelliCenter?

Good idea to bypass the heater for better flow when the deck jets are on.

How many valve actuator sockets does he get in a non-PS 5P IntelliCenter?
Standby. Drawing it out for the OP now. 2 sockets on the i5P mothercard. 6 more with the Valve Expansion Module ($150.00 abouts).

This is probably how I might do it. Definetely automate the heater bypass and main return 3 ways as illustrated. If he wants to invest in the valve expansion module, then he can automate the pool return 3-way and even the skimmer/main suction 3-way now or anytime in the future if he feels like he wants too (not a requirement though). Woops, I left out the SWG. Plump inline after the "Tee" below the check valve.

Edit: In my illustration, the IntelliValve at the pool return/deck jets 3-way is depicted incorrectly. It should be turned 180 degrees opposite from the way it is illustrated. The heater bypass IntelliValve is depicted correctly. Got in a hurry while banging out the illustration. Sorry.
2020-05-28_21-03-48.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks so much !!!!! @ajw22 and @MyAZPool you guys are awesome.

In my setup, I will be activating the solar connection for the heat source. Confirming the Intellicenter can be programmed to change the pump speed and rotate the intellivalve to feed the FPH (acting as a solar heat source) via a circuit program?

I plan to run the pump continuously at 15 to 20 gpm. Hopefully, the attached diagram setup will allow me to use a bypass so that the water doesn't have to continuously run through the fph. When the FPH (acting as a solar heat source) is off, the bypass is open so that the water doesn't have to go through the FPH (acting as a solar heat source) .

When the FPH (acting as a solar heat source) is activated, the bypass valve will close and send water to the FPH (acting as a solar heat source) and then have it increase to 45-60 gpm when solar is activated.

I want to make sure I can control the GPM to the Deck Jets when the FPH (acting as a solar heat source) is activated and running at a full speed of 45-60 gpm. The MagicStream® Deck Jet II water feature is designed for a maximum flow rate of 5 GPM at 11 ft of head

Do I need to make any more changes in my plan?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 9.01.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 9.01.02 AM.png
    101.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
drglanton
In my setup, I will be activating the solar connection for the heat source. Confirming the Intellicenter can be programmed to change the pump speed and rotate the intellivalve to feed the FPH (acting as a solar heat source) via a circuit program? YES

I plan to run the pump continuously at 15 to 20 gpm. Hopefully, the attached diagram setup will allow me to use a bypass so that the water doesn't have to continuously run through the fph. When the FPH (acting as a solar heat source) is off, the bypass is open so that the water doesn't have to go through the FPH (acting as a solar heat source) . CORRECT.. Once the heater bypass valve is activated, it allows water to flow through the FPH. Once the valve is closed, it bypasses the FPH and the check valve prevents water flow from going back the other way.

When the FPH (acting as a solar heat source) is activated, the bypass valve will close and send water to the FPH (acting as a solar heat source) and then have it increase to 45-60 gpm when solar is activated. CORRECT. All done through macro's (CIRCUIT GROUPS), programmed/setup by you.

I want to make sure I can control the GPM to the Deck Jets when the FPH (acting as a solar heat source) is activated and running at a full speed of 45-60 gpm. The MagicStream® Deck Jet II water feature is designed for a maximum flow rate of 5 GPM at 11 ft of head YES. When you set up a macro to run the deck jets, the deck jet/return valve will rotate to a user defined setting and the pump will spin up to a speed designated by you in the macro. One button push on your iPhone and several things happen simultaneously. The IntelliCenter will support up to 16 macros (CIRCUIT GROUPS). Actually, there is a trick to have some more but I won't delve into that right now.

Do I need to make any more changes in my plan? I don't think so.

You'll be surprised at how creative you can get with the Macro's. Lot's of flexibility and the beauty is, One command and lot's of things occur. I have some macros that activate several valve actions, changes pump speeds, activates the heater, etc, all at the touch of one button. Hope this helps.

Just a personal thought. I have one Pentair 3-way valve (I obtained it for free, so I used it for my waste line (not automated)). Personally, I prefer the Jandy's over the Pentair's but that is just personal preference on my part... :)
Cheers..

r.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.