Plug pool pump & SWG control panel into electric outlet timer?

I know lots of users here mention running their pool pumps only part of the day in order to save electricity. I get that. My Harris pump is 110V and has a three prong plug (I wired it that way since I have a GFI outlet by the pump). My Aqua Rite SWG control panel also has a three-prong plug, plugged into the same outlet. I have a heavy-duty outlet timer that can handle more than enough power for the pump and control panel (I bought it years ago to use with a large window AC unit).

Is it hard on the pump and/or SWG to have the power suppy turned on and off every day with the outlet timer? It just strikes me as odd to have the power cut on and off that way. Am I shortening the life of the pump and SWG control panel by having them shut off and restarted every day?

Last edited:
Dean,

That is how almost every pool was built before the use of Variable Speed pumps came into use in the last few years..

That said.. if you want to pay for the electricity, nothing keeps you from running your pump for as long as you want...

Jim R.

Dean,

The SWCG's power supply is required to be off when the pump is off.. This is the Primary safety feature that prevents the cell from running with no water flow.. If your cell has a flow switch it is considered the Secondary safety device...

Plug them both into the same timer..

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.