Corpus Christi
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30
Hello, I have a pool pump that's just plugged into a outlet outside, it is a dedicated circuit for the pump and lights. Could I plug the pump into a outdoor timer like those I have used for Christmas lights and then plug that into the outlet? The switch to turn of the pump is at ground level, under the pump. Who designs this stuff? Why not put the on/off switch on top for easy access? FYI 5000 gallon inground pool. no pool drain. I was going to post the pump name but its nasty outside right now. I will update if it seems necessary. Thank you

You could use an outdoor rated smart plug, but you need to make sure the amperage rating on the plug can handle the pump's amperage draw. Most 120 volt smart plugs can't. If you can post specs on the pump or snap a pic of the pump label, we may be able to provide some guidance.

BTW...welcome!

Ok finally got the kids to take pictures so I could list the specs. The pump is a Waterway PS-20-2N11MD. Motor says model R55CXFCM-305
115 volts HZ 60. SF amps 13.3/4.1 PH 1 DUTY CONT. with a sticker say 2.0 HP. Hayward star clear plus cartridge filter. Thanks for the advice so far.

You should be fine with an outdoor plug rated at 15 amps or more. If you have a good Wi-Fi signal at the equipment pad, you can use a smart plug which would allow you to set schedules, control via phone app, and control through Alexa/Google Home. I have used lots of smart devices and I've found Kasa products to be the best performers in terms of reliability and Wi-Fi reception.

Last edited:
You should be fine with an outdoor plug rated at 15 amps or more. If you have a good Wi-Fi signal at the equipment pad, you can use a smart plug which would allow you to set schedules, control via phone app, and control through Alexa/Google Home. I have used lots of smart devices and I've found Kasa products to be the best performers in terms of reliability and Wi-Fi reception.

Smart plug is working great, Thank you again for the recommendation

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.