Michigan
Below are my results from testing today:

FC 6.5
PH 7.5
TA 70
CH 150
CYA 60
Salt 3000

According to the recommendations from this site, FC, PH and TA are in range. My plan is to address CYA and CH if there is agreement here. In general, my water is clear and everything seems fine.

CYA - Pool Math recommends getting up to 75, which would take a bit over 2lbs. of stabilizer. I'm thinking of adding on pound and retesting in a week. My goal is just to make sure I'm over 70.

CH - This is the area I have questions about. The recommended range is 350-550 for an ideal of 450. Being at 150 seems concerning but I was under the impression that calcium is not that big of an issue for a fiberglass pool. So my first question is - if it's not a big issue for a fiberglass pool, why is the recommended level so high? My second question depends on comments on the first but it's basically, would you go up to 450? That's almost 50lbs of calcium? If I bring it up to that level, how best to do that. All at once or over a period of a week or two?

Thanks for your help.

No I would not bring my fiberglass pool to 450ppm CH. My fg pool is currently just above 200.
Test your fill water for CH to anticipate how fast CH will rise by filling after evaporation.
As summer progresses add enough CYA in 5ppm increments over a few weeks and observe how it affects your daily FC loss. Target the goal of 70ppm CYA by mid summer.

No I would not bring my fiberglass pool to 450ppm CH. My fg pool is currently just above 200.
Test your fill water for CH to anticipate how fast CH will rise by filling after evaporation.
As summer progresses add enough CYA in 5ppm increments over a few weeks and observe how it affects your daily FC loss. Target the goal of 70ppm CYA by mid summer.
So I got around to testing my CH out of the tap and it is about 125 (4 to 5 drops). So I don’t think adding fill water will have any impact.
I got some stabilizer and will start fine tuning the CYA over the next couple weeks. Just for fun, I’m got to put about a 1/2 pound in a sock and leave it alone. I’ve never just left it alone, always squeezed the sock, and I’m curious to see if it will actually dissolve on its own.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.