Please help

Jun 9, 2018
Yankton
My pool is having a phosphate problem and or being clear. We been pouring money in like it's going out of style. All of my levels are normal until you look at the chlorine then it's not even registering. I have put in phosphate killer, bleach and chlorine tablets. I am using aquachek test strips. Thanks for your help.

Well - in a properly chlorinated pool "phosphate" is never a problem. It is a "made up" problem by pool stores to sell you extra stuff. Plus, test strips are worthless.

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something.

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that way for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. Plus, the results of their "testing" is used to convince you that you need to buy things. Why do you think that testing is free?

But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 test kit and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with these: ABCs of Water Chemistry
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Please don't go back to the pool store for a test kit. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The TF100 test kit has this test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

Until you get your kit, each day I want you to put one bottle of bleach (yes, the same stuff you use for laundry) in the pool with the filter running. Be careful, it needs to be plain bleach, no scents, no EZ-Pour and none of the new Cloramax or laundry enhancing formulas.

Continue brushing and running the filter, cleaning the filter as necessary.

Please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• List what test kit you use to test your water
  • The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

mr,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your "Incognito" pool questions...:shark:

You have no Chlorine because you have algae, and you have algae because you have no chlorine.. It is a vicious circle...

You have to increase your Chlorine level high enough to kill the algae but depending on your CYA level that might be impossible..

I suspect that you have been using tablets to sanitize your pool, as well as adding weekly doses of Pool Store "Shock" products.. This will continuously increase your CYA levels.. Once you get over about 100 ppm of CYA it becomes very hard to maintain enough chlorine to kill the algae.

The first step to fixing your pool is to accurately know the what chemicals are currently in your water. As Tim points out, to test your water you will need one of two test kits.. Either the TF-100 (which I use) or the Taylor K-2006C (and yes the 'C' is important).

Our recommendations are based on science and facts, not hopes and guesses... Once we know the facts about your test data, we can provide some direction about what needs to be done to fix your pool water problems.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.