Please help with pool light wiring

bere

Bronze Supporter
Feb 5, 2018
Mont Belvieu, TX
Please help! I’m replacing my Hayward Crystal Logic lights with Florida Sunseeker’s Pooltone lights and my Hayward lights have 2 wires while the pooltone lights have 3. How should I wire them?

Attachments

• 92CAB132-5D5A-406E-A809-E40A98CCC61D.jpeg
    92CAB132-5D5A-406E-A809-E40A98CCC61D.jpeg
    393.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 35AC4172-B2CA-4E88-9555-80734DD1208E.jpeg
    35AC4172-B2CA-4E88-9555-80734DD1208E.jpeg
    495.1 KB · Views: 17
Show us the labels on the sides of the PoolTone light.

Hi! I’m looking at my receipt and it shows 12v. Should 12v lights only have 2 wires?

A 12V light may or may not have a ground wire.

Your light has a ground wire.

Show us pics of where the light wires connect to.

A 12V light may or may not have a ground wire.

Your light has a ground wire.

Show us pics of where the light wires connect to. One connects to wires from the transformer, the other connects to a purple wire that goes to the light switch.
The two orange wires are the ones coming from the existing light

Attachments

• 65026233-31B4-4A2E-BC7F-B26665C0001B.jpeg
    65026233-31B4-4A2E-BC7F-B26665C0001B.jpeg
    509.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
You have a green ground bar in the middle with an available screw on the right. Connect the green wire onto the ground bar. Connect the other two wires to there the orange wires connected.

Reactions: pdietert and bere
You have a green ground bar in the middle with an available screw on the right. Connect the green wire onto the ground bar. Connect the other two wires to there the orange wires connected.
Thanks! All screws on the ground bar are in use though. Is it safe to connect 2 wires on one screw?
Also, which wire will connect to the light switch wire? White or black?

It does look like the voltage checks out. If you have a multimeter you should test the lines that the two orange wires connect to. If the line voltage test correctly at around 12v, you connect the white and black wires from your new light to the connections where the orange wires are connected now. The green is the ground and can screw into the same post as the other green wires.

Reactions: bere

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! All screws on the ground bar are in use though. Is it safe to connect 2 wires on one screw?

Better to connect two ground wires together and a short pigtail with a wire nut and connect the pigtail to the ground bar.

You will probably not be able to get two wires under one screw solidly.

Also, which wire will connect to the light switch wire? White or black?

That does not matter. Either one.

Reactions: pdietert and bere
How many lights are connected to that transformer that you have four ground wires?

Does the light switch turn on all lights at once?

The light switch should be on the 120 volt side and you should not be touching that wiring if you are replacing one 12v light.

The 120 volt wiring should be separated physically from the 12 volt wiring.

Does the light switch turn on all lights at once?

The light switch should be on the 120 volt side and you should not be touching that wiring if you are replacing one 12v light.

The 120 volt wiring should be separated physically from the 12 volt wiring.
The light switch has 2 small switches that control each light separately.
I’ll double check to make sure they are not touching this new wiring.

The light switch has 2 small switches that control each light separately.
I’ll double check to make sure they are not touching this new wiring.
Ok, then the two small switches will be on the 12 volt side.

Just make sure you don’t get confused and mix the wiring.

Reactions: bere
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.