Please help with fc- cc

Varelao95

Mar 29, 2019
Lewisville, NC
Hello everyone this is my second season with my pool and the first season opening by myself to try and save some money. I am using my Taylor k-2006 kit and replacing the Reagents that are expired or expiring soon. I am waiting till tomorrow for my r0871 reagent to come in to “accurately” test my fc and cc but my question would be is it possible to have “chlorine lock” with 30ppm of cya, the issue I’m having is that it seems that I have higher cc than fc. Any help would be appreciated, thank you for your time

No, you can't have "chlorine lock" if your CYA is 30, but there are some other chemicals that can cause actual or false high readings of CC.

Can you post a full set of test results? What does your water look like? How long ago did you open? What chemicals have you added to the pool?

I’ll post my results tomorrow when my new reagents come in. I opened the pool this past Saturday the 4th. The water is looking a bit aqua. I’ve been using hypo-chlorite. Robert Super blue water polisher and Clorox algaecide with out copper as well as 12.5 liquid chlorine and Natural chemistry pool conditioner.

I’ll post my results tomorrow when my new reagents come in. I opened the pool this past Saturday the 4th. The water is looking a bit aqua. I’ve been using hypo-chlorite. Robert Super blue water polisher and Clorox algaecide with out copper as well as 12.5 liquid chlorine and Natural chemistry pool conditioner.
Ok, it looks like you are using a lot a pool store potions in addition to liquid chlorine, I'm not sure how all of them interact with the CC test, but I can't really give specific advice until I see your test results. By the looks of your water, you are probably still dealing with some algae. I would stop using everything but the liquid chlorine and follow the SLAM Process to finish clearing up your pool. For a CYA of 30, that means maintaining FC at 12 testing and adding liquid chlorine as needed 3-4 times per day as well as brushing your pool at least once per day.

Reactions: Varelao95
V95, your water doesn't look all that bad for just opening a couple days ago. All it needs is time with the SLAM Process and some filtering. Super Blue is a clarifier. Not really anything we recommend, not only for cost but because your cart filter should do just fine grabbing all the dead algae. You can post those numbed once your reagents arrive, but the Rx is fairly similar to everyone else opening this time of year .... Lower pH to about 7.2 > Validate CYA (in your case 30) > increase FC to SLAM level (12) and you're off to the races.

If you do a search here at TFP for chlorine lock, you'll see we give it no credibility. Also, an elevated CC level is not unusual at opening, in-part because your chlorine may be oxidizing products added for closing (i.e. antifreeze, etc). It should swing the other way soon. Keep us posted and let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

my ph was sitting at 7.2 but has since gone up to 7.8 should I try to adjust ph and Ta before continuing to SLAM?
If you have already begun to increase the FC and/or suspect it's over 10, don't worry about it. Based on the looks of your water, I would hope the SLAM won't take very long. You can adjust the pH afterwards.

So thanks everyone for all the help, my Reagan’s still aren’t here so I ended up ordering the TF-100 kit and boy am I glad, I can’t believe I was missing this. Previously I was using a k-2006 from Taylor but I really like the TF-100 as well as the speed stir. My new number as as follows.
Fc-1
Cc-.5
Ph-7.5
Ch-125
Ta-130
Cya-20

I will be boosting cya and Fc but am I missing anything? Does everything else look in range

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great. So you passed the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test with your CC at 0.5 or less?

If so, do NOT let your FC drop below minimum for your CYA. It is best to keep the FC at all times with in the Target Range. You should add at least 10 ppm CYA, preferably 20 ppm, and follow the FC based on the new CYA level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.