Please help troubleshoot light

Jun 30, 2016
Warrington, Pa
We bought our house with the pool about three years ago. The light in the spa was burned out but we don’t use a heater and never worried about it since we never use the spa. Now the main pool light burned out. I took out the fixture and replaced the light with an led and replaced the gasket around the cover and put a new light fixture cover on since the old one was yellowed and old. It sealed and floated without any bubbling so I believe it’s water tight.

flipped the switch and nothing.

I checked the circuit breaker and nothing is triggered. The outlet next to the switch, in the same box, works.
I’m wondering if the switch is bad. I am going to replace that. It just dawned on me that there is an electrical box a few feet away that was for the spa I believe but we’ve never used it. Is it possible there’s a gfci there for the lights? Even if the switch isn’t there? What else can I check before I call someone in? Any ideas?
Thanks

There is usually an electrical box somewhere behind the pool light coming out of the ground. Check the connections there to rule out the wires going to the light not being connected. Use a volt meter on those wires to make sure there's voltage when the switch is on. As someone else eluded, what voltage was the previous light? Does that match the new light?

Do you have a multimeter? Start tracing where you have voltage.

Find the pool light junction box and see if you have voltage there.

Both old and new are 120v.
Not sure if the led is defective. I have another one for the spa light so I could switch them out and see.

Will take pictures tomorrow. It’s dark now.
I have a multi meter. I’ll check that box tomorrow if I can. It didn’t even dawn on me that that box could be involved until tonight. The light switch is on a gfci and grounded. We had that all confirmed at our pool inspection.
Here is a horrible hand drawing. Red Xs are the lights. The orange box is where the pump and light switch are. They are probably 15’ from the top red x. The green box is probably in that 4-6’ range of both lights.

Attachments

• AB5DE2B9-425E-489D-AE0B-9D957861297F.jpeg
    AB5DE2B9-425E-489D-AE0B-9D957861297F.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 12
This is what is out there by the lights. I’m assuming the top right is the junction box. I’ll take a look later but couldn’t do it now. The other thing is a mystery. It has a switch to flip it on and off.

Attachments

• 955DB9B0-0B3D-4968-9EBF-59343549679B.jpeg
    955DB9B0-0B3D-4968-9EBF-59343549679B.jpeg
    869.5 KB · Views: 15

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
so this is super embarrassing but I went to the master circuit box and found out that the “spa” breaker was off. Realizing that it went to the junction box, I turned that on and now the light will flash on and off and change colors but it’s not staying on.
any suggestions on why? When it lights up its bright for that split second. Is there another dumb/ obvious step I’m missing?

From the reviews it seems the remote doesn't work when light is underwater :roll: Have you tried power cycling the light to change modes?

41pVv8YSqsL.jpg

Last edited:
So it seems to be a defective light bulb. I am going to pull the front of the led off to make sure all the connections are firm inside it but haven’t had a chance. Hopefully that will fix it but If not I’m returning and ordering a new one.
Thanks for all your help! The spa light is working and I’m kind of shocked because it was a disaster when we pulled it out with corrosion.

Reactions: guinness
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.