Please help pick equipment for my new AGP build

RoninX

Apr 23, 2021
Vancouver, BC
Hi,

I’ve joined this site to get the best pool info around! I have been reading a ton on here and have a whole bunch of questions now. Thanks for any help!!!

I just received my shipment of my Aqua Leader Galaxy 15x30 Oval AGP from Pool Supplies Canada (only place that had anything in stock, nothing locally! I'm in Canada, BC)

• 54 inch tall steel coated wall
  • All Resin components (Top and bottom rails, uprights, plates , etc)
  • Salt Water Friendly
  • Buttress-Free Oval System
Pool kit came with the pool, liner, and skimmer.

So next up I need to pick the rest of my components. Looks like I will have to get most stuff off Pool Supplies Canada as most local places seem to have low stock or back ordered.

I’m having a pool company prep the ground and do all the of the pool install. They deal with Hayward and can get me some stuff if needed, but they said I can order equipment myself as well if want.

I will be building a deck around the pool as well.

My equipment was going to be installed under a 6 foot high covered deck/patio. Do I need a box/shed over any of the equipment or is open air fine?

Looks like a 15x30 (54" height) pool is approximately 15,000 gallons is that correct?

I’m hoping for the easiest to maintain setup I can get if possible. Here’s where I’m at so far for choices.

1) Sand Filter

Looking at 25”-27” Hayward Sand Filters (but open to others), as the larger sizes seems to be the most recommended on here.

The Hayward 25” SandMaster looks like in stock, is there a big difference between the SandMaster and their Pro series filters?

2) Pump

What models/sizes?

Most people on here seem to recommend a 2 speed over a 1 speed pump I noticed.

I’m Looking at the Hayward 1.5 HP 2 speed Turbo Flo 2 AGP pump

Is the Matrix 1.5 2 speed better?

Also was curious on the noise levels of the pump under the deck/patio.

3) Natural Gas Heater

What size? Seems like 200K-250K BTU is what is recommended is that correct? What models?

Was looking at the Raypak Digital 266,000 BTU Electronic Natural Gas Heater (Do I need cupro nickel?)

or

And the Pentair MasterTemp 250K BTU Low NOx

Is the Raypak not Low NOx? Like I mentioned will be under the patio/deck we sit on will this be a problem, or could move the heater if needed.

4) Salt or chlorine auto dispenser/feeder

Two different pool installers and one pool seller all told me to not do salt water as destroys the pump, heater, etc way faster, get salt residue on the deck is this really true? Most people on here seem to like salt.

Does something like the below Zodiac vision really work? Any better options for chlorine or other brands/models?

Zodiac Vision Pro Above Ground Chlorinator and Nature2 Vessel (With Cartridge) | Pool Supplies Canada

If salt what cartridges, etc recommended for my pool size? Is it correct to double it?

5) Other stuff I need?

What cover and probably roller systems are recommended?

Do I need an underlay mat if on sand? If so is this a good mat?

15 X 30 ft Oval Rhino Floor Pad 9 Oz | Pool Supplies Canada

Or any other recommendations for mats?

What about vacuums, poles, hoses, just standard stuff?

I’m assuming sand base is the best? Could do a concrete pad as well if better.

Am I forgetting anything?

I know these were a ton of questions so thanks for reading and help and suggestions can give is very appreciated.

Thanks!

I have to go back and read your post more throughly, but are you sure you want everything under your deck, access-wise, and is your deck really 6 feet? Your pool is only 54” so that’s a bit of a gap.

I’ll let other comment on the equipment, but no, salt water won’t destroy your equipment.

I have to go back and read your post more throughly, but are you sure you want everything under your deck, access-wise, and is your deck really 6 feet? Your pool is only 54” so that’s a bit of a gap.

I’ll let other comment on the equipment, but no, salt water won’t destroy your equipment.

Hey thanks for the questions .

Sorry should have clarified , the upper deck patio is about 6.5 ft approx off the ground (can get the exact measurement just don't have infront of me), going to build stairs from the upper deck works about to about 2-3 stairs and then build a new lower deck/sun deck for the pool.

Putting equipment under a 6' deck can be problematic. I am 6'3" and would have to stoop to do any work on the equipment. I don't know how tall you folks are.

Equipment under decks tend to get neglected, dirty, and spiders and other critters making homes in the equipment.

The Raypak manual at https://s3.amazonaws.com/AWSProd/sites/raypakcom/documents/241236.pdf starting at page 7 describes the clearances needed. The top needs to be unobstructed which it would not be under a deck. I don't think you want to put a vent hood on the heater going through the deck.

And heaters are hot and noisy. Not what you want to be sitting above.

The purpose of the cupro-nickel is to give additional protection to the heat exchanger that can be attacked with poor water chemistry. That is the advantage, but it also has less ability to transfer heat.

The Raypak heater is a natural draft heater with a simplier design then the Pentair MasterTemp that is a forced draft heater with a blower. The Raypak heater is taller, as the blower let's the MasterTemp heater be smaller. The forced draft heater is more complex with more expensive parts, the controls and fan.

Raypak has Low-Nox versions.

Get a SWG that is at least 2X your pool volume. SWG capacity is based on running your pump 24/7 at 100% which you would not want to do. Getting an oversize cell let's you have shorter pump runtimes and run the cell at less than 100%.

You do not want mineral systems like the Zodiac Vision. The minerals accumulate in your water and lead to staining of the pool and turning blonde hair green.

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome to TFP!!

Congrats on the new pool.
Im not a fan of equipment pads under a deck. In your case, you have the headroom. I don’t think I’d want to be sitting on the deck and listening to the pump & heater run. Plus, the heater vent would be annoying to be around as you are sitting there trying to enjoy the outdoors. Ultimately up to you though.
Say no to the mineral systems. If you are considering a SWG, go for it. It is the easiest way to add chlorine to the pool. The pump and heater won’t have any issues from the salt water. Also the cupro-nickel heater tubes are really not necessary assuming you will follow TFP recommendations for water chemistry.
Either pump you selected will work fine. No matter the pump, make sure it is a 2 speed or variable speed.
The 15x30 pool is about 12k gallons.
No mat needed under the liner. Sand works good. Up to you if you want a foam vs sand cove.
I’d recommend hard plumbing your system from the start based on what you’ve described. Valves and unions at skimmer & return and inlet/outlet of pump pad. Also heater bypass. Hayward makes a combo valve / union. Mini here also like Jandy valves. Don’t use standard ball valves that you find at the big box stores.
Definitely recommend a solar cover, get a reasonably inexpensive one, not too thick.

Hi,

I just received my shipment of my Aqua Leader Galaxy 15x30 (54”H) Oval AGP. (I’m in BC, Canada)

So next up I need to the pump and sand filter. Looks like I will have to get most stuff off Pool Supplies Canada as most local places seem to have no stock or long backorders.

Pool is 12,000 gallons so these are the items have been looking at so far in my search for stuff in stock.

1) Sand Filter

Hayward Pro Series 21”

Hayward 21 inch Pro Series Sand Filter | Pool Supplies Canada

Hayward/Sandmaster 23”

Hayward 23 inch Sand Filter | Pool Supplies Canada

Hayward/Sandmaster 25”

Hayward 25 inch Sand Filter | Pool Supplies Canada

The 23” Sandmaster says 1.5” straight adapters for connections, while the other two are slip unions. Is this the same or a problem?

Would the 21” Pro Series be big enough?

2) Pump

Hayward 1.5hp 2 speed Turbo Flo 2

Hayward 1.5 HP 2 Speed Turbo Flo II Pump Above Ground | Pool Supplies Canada

Hayward 1 HP Power Flo Matrix

Hayward 1 HP Power Flo Matrix Above | Pool Supplies Canada

Hayward 1 HP Turbo Flo 2

Hayward 1 HP Turbo Flo II Pump Above | Pool Supplies Canada

Is 1.5 hp 2 speed to much pump?

The Turbo Flo 2 doesn't have a drain, I'm assuming this isn't a problem as could shop vac out or would have quick disconnects and bring the pump in for the winter?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Have narrowed down my heaters to the two below.

Hayward H series 200k

Or

Raypak 200k heater

I can get above models in lower 150k as well.

Will the Hayward blower be a lot louder then the Raypak?

Last edited:
The forced draft blower on the Pentair and Hayward heaters are noisy. The natural draft Raypak does not have the blower noise and is taller.

Lower BTU means the water will heat proportionally slower. All depends if you mind the wait or a smaller bank account.

A 250K BTU NG heater will heat your 12,000 gallon pool about 2 degrees and hour.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello,
For some time now, I had plans to build a soaking pool. I've toyed with many ideas but a bit afraid to tackle this size project on my own. Although I'm pretty handy, this is a couple of pegs above my regular projects.

I came across a Pin today with a picture of a promising concrete block structure. Following a hunch, I click through and found myself immersed in a very useful story of a similar project. I still have to read some more in detail in the next couple of days. The only issue I found is not being able to see the images in the forum messages. The thread I'm looking at is called:

DIY Concrete Block Soaking Pool - In Progress, Advice Welcome!​

I look forward to learning some more and hopefully gain all I need to start this next DIY adventure.

Thank you for your message!

I also planned on getting a Hayward or raypak ng heater. Will the 2 speed 1.5 pump on low speed trigger the pressure switch in the heater?

I'm also having trouble finding stock besides a 21" pro series sand filter, is that big enough?

Last edited:
The forced draft blower on the Pentair and Hayward heaters are noisy. The natural draft Raypak does not have the blower noise and is taller.

Lower BTU means the water will heat proportionally slower. All depends if you mind the wait or a smaller bank account.

A 250K BTU NG heater will heat your 12,000 gallon pool about 2 degrees and hour.

Thanks for help! Do you know if a Hayward 2 speed 1.5 HP pump on the low speed setting would have enough flow to trigger the pressure switch on the heater to start it up?

Thanks for help! Do you know if a Hayward 2 speed 1.5 HP pump on the low speed setting would have enough flow to trigger the pressure switch on the heater to start it up?

Hard to say. It depends on your filter and the rest of your return plumbing.

Get a VS pump and you won't need to worry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.