Please, help me understand the TFP way and why anyone would want to work on their pool daily?

Great. Hope it was the K2006C. The C really matters. The smaller kit you will need a FAS-DPD and CYA reagent refill nearly immediately.
I can attest, they aren't very big. I've tested the CYA a handful of times and I've used up almost of what it comes with.

Search on Amazon for the reagent refills by the Taylor number (R-0013 Cyanuric Acid Reagent; and R-0871 FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent), but I would make sure the seller is Amazon.com and not a random third party seller with maybe authentic (maybe not) chemicals.

Sacrilege i know, but I routinely use 5ml and 1 drop per ppm on the fas/dpd... :devilish:
So do I.. it just depends on what purpose I'm testing for. if I need more precision I'll use a 25 ml sample and each drop is .2 ppm, 10 ml sample each drop is .5 ppm and 5 ml sample each drop is 1 ppm. You can do this with all the drop based tests but some of them don't make much sense. Like a 5 ml sample of TA each drop is 50 ppm doesn't give you a whole lot of resolution if your TA is 120. But for CH it makes sense if if your Calcium is through the roof.

Last edited:
Reactions: BassPlayingDude
For me, to answer the original poster's question, it is the old "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Daily testing and adding of LC seems like a lot of work.............

Until you start having water chemistry issues from the "other" (non-TFP) methods. The first year I had my pool, dealing with algae (a lot!), and seeing my pool turn purple (copper cyanurate!) just sucked. I spent much more time dealing with it than the 15 minutes a day for daily testing and LC addition!

TFP, means spending a few minutes a day to avoid hours of pool trouble and headaches. That is why I use them!

Lone,
Let's rephrase what you're saying. TFP teaches whatever you're dealing with "how to deal with it". So whichever method within TFP you use, eventually will get you to a comfort zone of how to manage and how often without losing water quality. It may be every day or every other or even 3 -4 days but you'll still have TFP QUALITY WATER.

Reactions: OrangeAndBlue

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's not that I don't want the greater accuracy .. it's more that those reagents are pricey, so I would rather test more often with slightly less accuracy. For stuff like OCLT I always use the 10ml test.
:stirpot:

It's not that I don't want the greater accuracy .. it's more that those reagents are pricey, so I would rather test more often with slightly less accuracy. For stuff like OCLT I always use the 10ml test.
If you buy your reagents from the other side of the Schuylkill they are cheaper. But you have to deal with Vinnie and the other stuff he sells out of the trunk of his sedan...

Reactions: BassPlayingDude
You know........ of you were to run a skootch hot........ the 1 FC variance wouldnt matter and at worst you would be in range. Just sayin

I first found TroubleFreePool when I was googling how to demo and fill in a pool. I was searching for that because I was simply exhausted by my pool. Weekend trips for my "free" testing, followed by the 2 day ritual of "shocking," algaecide, and manually brushing over and over to get rid of my ever present algae blooms. Oh, and backflushing a high-pressure filter every two weeks. I had gotten to the point where I joked about the pool store $100 cover charge.

I was done, then I read about the TFP methods and said to myself I would give it a try before laying out the $10k+ it would take to demo the pool. That was about 8 years ago.

After getting in the groove, here's my "labor"

• Once per month, I pull out my phone and do a curbside pickup for about 15-20 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine. They load it in the truck.
  • I get home, text my teenager "take care of the bleach" and walk inside
  • He hauls the bleach to my 15 gallon drum and fills it up. The drum is hooked up to a metered "stenner" pump and trickles the bleach in when the pump is running.
  • Every time he uses the pool he cleans out the skimmer basket and the polaris if needed.
  • I run a test on the weekends as I grab a beer, then maybe add a cup of acid as I drink my beer.
  • I tweak the other chemicals like baking soda and stabilizer a couple of times a year.
  • I backflush the DE filter once, maybe twice a year. More because I should than because of over pressure.
Now, you may not have a teen to take care of the bleach and skimmers. You probably don't have a stenner pump to pour the bleach automatically. But dumping a cup of bleach in your pool over your morning coffee isn't much work. Once you get a feel for your pool, you honestly can write down your test numbers with 90% accuracy before you even do the test.

But beyond that, the water clarity and sparkle everyone notices, especially the people in the neighborhood with a pool service. People ask me how I do it because of the water quality. No chlorine smell or harshness, perfectly clear water where you can see the screw head on the drain at 8 feet, and never a spot of algae.

Weekend trips for my "free" testing,
Go have them check your fluids at Jiffy Lube for ‘free’. Then charge you $250 for 2 quarts of headlight fluid and $75 for muffler bearing grease. Pfffffft. EVERYBODY knows muffler bearings are good for 100K miles.

• Haha
Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Go have them check your fluids at Jiffy Lube for ‘free’. Then charge you $250 for 2 quarts of headlight fluid and $75 for muffler bearing grease. Pfffffft. EVERYBODY knows muffler bearings are good for 100K miles.
Come on! Everyone knows those things aren't real...... But everyone should be checking their blinker fluid!!

If you buy your reagents from the other side of the Schuylkill they are cheaper. But you have to deal with Vinnie and the other stuff he sells out of the trunk of his sedan...
I think you mean the other side of the Delaware... LOL .. but then you have to pay to get back out.. you always gotta pay to leave the Dirty Jerz...

Not to mention possible encounters with this guy:

1622220559995.png

Reactions: mguzzy
Come on! Everyone knows those things aren't real...... But everyone should be checking their blinker fluid!!
My car has problems with the blinker bulbs and I’m forever having to change them. The garage says that they are seem to come on intermittently.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.