Please help me get my chemicals right

Hi Richard,
I only have a few more shock pods left and I'm unsure when my test kit will come so I bought the liquid bleach as a backup if I run out of the pods. Do you feel the shock pods are better than the liquid bleach or does it not really matter either way?
Bleach is better, but you already had the pods and you needed the CYA they contain anyway. 12 pods full of dichlor will raise the CYA to 45, so stop at 12. Save the others for later, when you need to replenish to make up for splashout.

Great. Your pH looks to be 7.2. For FC, you use the FAS-DPD reagents. See the enclosed card on how to perform the test. It is the powder and reagent test. R0870 and R0871.

Nina, just wanted to encourage you to follow the advice you are getting. I came here frustrated with my pool a year ago. I was following pool store and pool company (HTH) advice. Everything I added threw my test strips into a frenzy. And my test strips would show different readings even when I did a test with two strips back to back.

I found TFP, got a proper test kit, switched to LC, and my pool ownership had been easy and enjoyable ever since! I went from wanting to fill in my IG pool with dirt and call it a day. Now I couldn't imagine not having my pool!

In a few weeks you'll be loving your pool too!

Reactions: PoolNewb2020

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nina, just wanted to encourage you to follow the advice you are getting. I came here frustrated with my pool a year ago. I was following pool store and pool company (HTH) advice. Everything I added threw my test strips into a frenzy. And my test strips would show different readings even when I did a test with two strips back to back.

I found TFP, got a proper test kit, switched to LC, and my pool ownership had been easy and enjoyable ever since! I went from wanting to fill in my IG pool with dirt and call it a day. Now I couldn't imagine not having my pool!

In a few weeks you'll be loving your pool too!
Thank you very much! I appreciate that. I'm going to throw away my HTH test strips. They constantly tell me one day my chlorine is high the next day that it's low. They also always show my CYA and Alkalinity high. I'm so grateful for all of the wonderful peolpe i this group and all the advice. :)

Reactions: LoneWolfArcher
The yellow side is TC. We rarely use that test. Once you get real comfortable with overall testing and your pool water chemistry, you would use that test when you get an odd FC test or even as a daily test to say, yes, my chlorine level is what I expect. But for real testing, use the FAS-DPD test.

Reactions: splashpad
The yellow side is TC. We rarely use that test. Once you get real comfortable with overall testing and your pool water chemistry, you would use that test when you get an odd FC test or even as a daily test to say, yes, my chlorine level is what I expect. But for real testing, use the FAS-DPD test.
We just did the test and we had to put in 13 drops of the R0871 so I believe our chlorine is at 6.5 PPM. Very high. Is is safe to let the kids in tonight?

Attachments

• Chlorine test.jpg
    Chlorine test.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 3
We just did the test and we had to put in 13 drops of the R0871 so I believe our chlorine is at 6.5 PPM. Very high. Is is safe to let the kids in tonight?
Yes, safe to swim.

Even if you had zero CYA, up to 10 FC is safe, just going to be rough on swimsuits.

6.5 FC might be too low.

What is your CYA level? Have you tested it yet? How many of those pods have you used up so far?

Hello. We have used 8 of those PODS. We ended up doing every other day. We have not tested CYA yet.
Read the instructions for CYA test, it must be done in bright light, it is not a color-change-result test, it is based on reflectivity :) You've done very good getting in control of your pool!

12 pods would give you 45 CYA, so 8 means you're at 30 CYA.

You're fine. SLAM level is 12 FC and you're well below that.
Thank you! I just did the CYA test and it's at 30 on the dot. As far as how to keep, CYA, PH, and chlorine in check what should I do? Continue with the PODS, or go to liquid chlorine. I think as of today my chlorine is high at 6.5 PPM

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.