Please help identifying (and suggestion for Killing this)

Bob92

Jul 26, 2020
Ontario Canada
What I am looking at are easily disturbed, short thin filaments suspended in the pool that eventually sink to the bottom of a vinyl liner Salt water pool when left undisturbed. When squished between the fingers it leaves a greenish smear. This leads me to believe it is organic and perhaps some sort of black or mustard algae. What is strange, is that it does not adhere to anything and can be vacuumed (if you do it slowly) twice a day, but it comes back within that timeframe... The pool is otherwise perfectly clear and the chemistry is just where you want it to be.

For the last two weeks I have put in copious amounts of liquid chlorine and maintained that level while watching the PH and alkalinity. I have also used 3 doses of the strongest pool algaeside during this past 2 weeks but there has been no change. No one at the pool store really knows what this is and I feel I am just spending money in the wrong direction.

Any help would be appreciated,

Attachments

• 20200719_111027.jpg
    20200719_111027.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200721_200401.jpg
    20200721_200401.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 32
Welcome to the forum!
You say you have used liquid chlorine, have you been following the SLAM Process? Can you post test results from your own test kit?
If it smears green, it is algae of some kind. Chlorine, following the SLAM Process, is the cure.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Chlorine level at currently 6ppm I did bring it up to and try to keep it close to 10ppm last week. PH is good but Alkalinity is a little high right now as I have been vacuuming to waste and have been using the hose to refill the lost water. I am going to bring that back down down with a jug of Muriatic Acid. I have also checked my phosphate level and it is a little high. We have been losing leaves and tying to keep that organic matter out of the pool. Stabilizer is good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.