Please Help-Green, Hazy Water and Zero Free Chlorine since 5/18/15 =-(

Two MAJOR things you must do ASAP that the others failed to mention!

1. Post a photo of your success
2. Go swimming

Enjoy your new pool. You've earned a refreshing dip and an adult beverage. Good job, and we hope you learned some pool care along the way.

Lee

Thank you! Here are some pics!!!!
http://s725.photobucket.com/user/jenmazz/media/IMG_8191_zpsrct3afft.jpg.html?filters[user]=143333590&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww258/jenmazz/IMG_8191_zpsrct3afft.jpg
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww258/jenmazz/IMG_8190_zpsz0hzkhwo.jpg
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww258/jenmazz/IMG_8188_zpsoqjdrxky.jpg
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww258/jenmazz/IMG_8190_zpsz0hzkhwo.jpg

Lisa - Thank you! How do I do that-Let FC drift down? I will test all others and wait on PH. So right now - add nothing and let it run?
thanks! PS: Kim I printed it out - thanks!

Just don't add any bleach. You can test FC, but don't test every hour or anything. I would just test it twice a day.

- - - Updated - - -

It is sparkling!

I've gotta say, I love the heck out of this pool! Great job Jen!

thank you all - couldn't have done it w/o you all helping me through this!!!!

So to maintain safe swimming conditions - what do I do in regards to counts?
Here are today's counts:
FC: 22.5
CC: 0
CYA: 50
Total Alk: 400 (found out that this is high range - but PH is off b/c of the CYA being 50)
Hardness 250 (found out this is ok range)
Are these ok to swim in and what do I need to do to fix ranges?
Thank you!

Thank you!!!!
OH and HAPPY 4TH!!!!!!!!!!!

Just let the FC drift down to 20 or below before going swimming. If it's closer to 20 I would wear older suits. As far a maintenance for a CYA of 50, your target FC is 6ppm and you don't want to let it drop below 4ppm. In my case, I test my FC each evening and use Pool Math or my Pool Pal app on my phone to determine how much bleach I need add for the next day. For a forecasted sunny day, I know I will have a 3.5ppm FC drop due to sunlight. Overcast I lose 1.5ppm and partly cloudy I usually lose 2.5ppm. Knowing this information (for this time of year) I make sure I add enough CL to keep above the minimum FC level. I check the ph 3 times a week and the TA once a week and make adjustments as needed.

Wait until your FC level gets gets down to around 9ppm and retest for ph, TA and feel free to post the results.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thank you all - couldn't have done it w/o you all helping me through this!!!!

So to maintain safe swimming conditions - what do I do in regards to counts?
Here are today's counts:
FC: 22.5
Total Alk: 400 (found out that this is high range - but PH is off b/c of the CYA being 50)
Hardness 250 (found out this is ok range)
Are these ok to swim in and what do I need to do to fix ranges?
Thank you!

Thank you!!!!
OH and HAPPY 4TH!!!!!!!!!!!

Jen. Sorry I missed this yesterday. Busy day.
As others said. You can swim once FC is below 20.
I would like you to check TA again. Remember to wipe the tip of theR009 bottle before first drop and after each drop with a damp cloth. If you did not wipe it when you tested, TA will be incorrect. I have not looked back through, but I don't recall it being that high previously.

Jen. Sorry I missed this yesterday. Busy day.
As others said. You can swim once FC is below 20.
I would like you to check TA again. Remember to wipe the tip of theR009 bottle before first drop and after each drop with a damp cloth. If you did not wipe it when you tested, TA will be incorrect. I have not looked back through, but I don't recall it being that high previously.

Thanks! I'm doing a full test in a few min and will post.

So sorry for the delay!!! I had to get something done.

Okay, I haven't added or done anything and here are the #'s:
FC: 15
TA is 100
Hardness: 250
PH: 7.8
Chlorine is a 5 on the blue kit test box

So are these #'s ok???
Thank you! Pool still crystal clear and blue!

Jen you want your FC to drift down to 5-6 then add bleach to bump back to FC 6-8 and repeat (maintain). Pool stores want you to shock the heck out if your pool and let it drift down to whatever (you never really know because of substandard test strips they sell). You have to abandon all info from the pool store. Kinda like maintaining speed limit to the grocery store in you car. I'm a car guy so its like the pool store wants you pull out of the driveway any hit 120mph then coast to your destination. Dangerous and irresponsible right? We that subscribe to this method. Prefer to maintain a steady safe speed ( FC 6-8 in your case with CYA of 50) to to our destination (end if pool season) Pool store methodology is what created the issue that everyone here has helped you correct. Stick with the TFP method it and I doubt you will ever go thru this big of a slam again. I hope that puts it in perspective. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Most people here measure chlorine once a day and add bleach once a day to keep it at the appropriate level.

Once you have a feel for how your pool behaves daily you may be able to test and add every other day if chlorine consumption is low.

I would NOT recommend adding only weekly with bleach.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.