Please Help-Green, Hazy Water and Zero Free Chlorine since 5/18/15 =-(

Sorry you did not pass, but you are doing great!
Sorry for the delay in posting - I had forgotten my password and couldn't log in and then the reset went to my junk folder so I didn't think I was getting them. Finally I realized and can post again.
Last night here were the counts: (around 7:00)
FC: 27.5
CC: 0
CYA: 50
Adding 43 oz bleach

Then at 2:30 AM (was up b/c I had to finish "Orange is the New Black" show - lol)
Counts were:
FC: 25
CC:0

This AM, the counts are: at 8:30
FC: 25

So from 2:30 AM till 8:30 AM - counts stayed the same.....

What's next? Should I put pucks in the chlorinator? Should I add a little DE to help get that brown stuff out? (I will vacuum again today also) Should I continue to SLAM?

Water is blue and crystal clear.
Thank you!

Jen I am still a very novice on all of this pool chemistry stuff, but I have been following your thread since day one. Your doing great. Your pool is clear and CC 0. Your very close to whipping your pool back into shape. Best of all you did it by yourself! ( With some great advice from the Pros here) but most of all its your pool, your baby, and you have almost fixed it! I hope you feel empowered. To finish the SLAM you need to pass all three requirements. 2 out of 3 is great but you still have to pass the OCLT. You cant give up now your to close. I guarantee I am not the only one watching this thread and rooting for you! You can finish this! As far as the chlorinator and pucks. They are only useful on an extended vacation when you cant find anyone to help dose the pool manually like you do on a regular basis. The good people here do not recommend them for maintenance of the pool. If you dose your pool manually you should not ever have to go thru this again, at least not at this extent. I dose my pool every night. Check levels with the oto test and adjust accordingly. Once a week I run a full panel of tests to make sure the pool is is where I want it to be. Its so easy! I don't trust automated systems, they are convenient but no replacement for a human intellect. Someone will be on soon with more advice I'm sure, but in the meantime keep at the SLAM brush and vac! You got this. Your opponent is on the ropes! Finish him!! ;)

Wow, what a thread, I read the first few pages and the last several, you are doing great and are almost there.

To your questions:

No more pucks, they add CYA and you are already at 50.

The lack of chlorine loss from 2:30 - 8:30 is encouraging, but you did not pass the OCLT. Note, I am not saying you failed either. You need to take your baseline FC reading after the sun goes down so you can rule out chlorine loss from sun. You mentioned you tested at 7, so guessing it was probably still a bit sunny. I would say the results are inconclusive as some of your 2.5 ppm loss *could* be attributable to UV rays.

So, keep at SLAM level today and then do the OCLT again tonight, take your FC reading after sun down (and at least 30 minutes after your last chemical addition) and then test again before sun up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No pucks.

You can add DE as long as you are home to watch the pressure rise. Do you know how to do that?

Do another OLCT tonight if you want or you can wait until tomorrow night. Remember to follow it by testing as the sun goes down and add if needed then test 1 hour later do not add.
Then test in the morning early before the sun is all the way up or hits the pool.

Counts today -
SAME! Looks like passed? :)
FC: 27.5

So, please LMK what this means and what next steps are? Water is still crystal clear and blue.
Thank you soooooo much,
Jen

Congrats on a job well done! You stuck with it and it paid off!

Now, you are going to let your FC drift down below 10 so you can test PH.
Your CYA is 50, so do not let FC drop below the minimum level of 4. You want to keep it ideally at 6 which is target level. I actually prefer to keep mine 1-2 ppm higher then target level. So you can even keep it around 7. You will need to test water daily. Some people test twice a day. Some only once. You need to test FC and PH each day. Test CC every other day. CYA can be tested every few weeks or after you know a lot of water was added to the pool. Run other tests. Once a week.

You can run a full set of numbers other than PH if you want to now. PH is not accurate above 10FC

Remember to brush at least a couple times a week if not every other day. Also vacuum as needed.

Congrats on a job well done! You stuck with it and it paid off!

Now, you are going to let your FC drift down below 10 so you can test PH.
Your CYA is 50, so do not let FC drop below the minimum level of 4. You want to keep it ideally at 6 which is target level. I actually prefer to keep mine 1-2 ppm higher then target level. So you can even keep it around 7. You will need to test water daily. Some people test twice a day. Some only once. You need to test FC and PH each day. Test CC every other day. CYA can be tested every few weeks or after you know a lot of water was added to the pool. Run other tests. Once a week.

You can run a full set of numbers other than PH if you want to now. PH is not accurate above 10FC

Remember to brush at least a couple times a week if not every other day. Also vacuum as needed.

Lisa - Thank you! How do I do that-Let FC drift down? I will test all others and wait on PH. So right now - add nothing and let it run?
thanks! PS: Kim I printed it out - thanks!

Two MAJOR things you must do ASAP that the others failed to mention!

1. Post a photo of your success
2. Go swimming

Enjoy your new pool. You've earned a refreshing dip and an adult beverage. Good job, and we hope you learned some pool care along the way.

Lee

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.