please help. First time water text and what should I do

Kevindong

Bronze Supporter
Feb 1, 2017
Fort Myers Florida
My first time text right after brush and vocume my pool. Followed the instruction from Taylor k-2006
FC -1.5
cc - 0 since it didn't turn pink
ph 8.0+ looks darker then red
TA 100
CH 340
cya I don't know. The black dot doesn't disappear after I fill that up. I don't know what I have done wrong
Is it that ph level cause not able to text the cya or ? I shouldn't text right after brush and vocume the pool?

You can test right after vacuuming and brushing the pool.

Your PH could very well be that high. What you need to do is get on Pool Math (at the top of this page) and see how much muratic acid you need to add to lower the PH 8.0 to 7.5. Add that much MA. Let the pump run for 30 mins and retest. Keep doing that until you get a reading of 7.5. It might take a couple/few times since it seems as if your PH is VERY high but we want to step it down and not crash it.

CYA-it sounds like you do not have any CYA in your pool. Have you added anything to the pool to add CYA (stabilizer)?

How do you add FC? Liquid chlorine? tablets?

I will check back for your answers.

Kim:kim:

I will buy some acid to lower the ph. As for the cya. I just took over from the pool service company. And I don't know what they put there every week. But I don't see any tabs all time. They just put chemical here and there . I didn't really check them when they service my pool though. So I don't really know what they use.
I will get another reading on cya. And I don't know if it is possible cya is zero reading or I just did it wrong. How is everything else 's reading ?

Kevin - CYA is only found in water where CYA has been added. It can be added as a "pure" liquid or solid (e.g. a liquid or solid that is solely designed to raise your CYA), or it can be added as a side-effect of using solid chlorine products such as granular "shock" or chlorine "pucks". CYA is consumed at a very small rate over the year (< 10ppm), otherwise, the only way it goes down outside of some very odd algae breakouts is by actually removing water and replacing that removed water with fresh rain or tap water.

It is possible that the pool company didn't add any CYA, and it's possible that they weren't using a chlorine product that added it either (some chlorine solids add calcium instead of CYA) - so it is possible you have 0 CYA, or a low enough amount of CYA to not show up on that test. If you've had the same pool water for a while, a year or more, I'd find it mildly hard to believe you have no CYA, but it is certainly possible.

Double check the test, make sure the pool water sample is at room temperature prior to mixing it with the CYA reagent, and let us know what you get.

Kevin - CYA is only found in water where CYA has been added. It can be added as a "pure" liquid or solid (e.g. a liquid or solid that is solely designed to raise your CYA), or it can be added as a side-effect of using solid chlorine products such as granular "shock" or chlorine "pucks". CYA is consumed at a very small rate over the year (< 10ppm), otherwise, the only way it goes down outside of some very odd algae breakouts is by actually removing water and replacing that removed water with fresh rain or tap water.

It is possible that the pool company didn't add any CYA, and it's possible that they weren't using a chlorine product that added it either (some chlorine solids add calcium instead of CYA) - so it is possible you have 0 CYA, or a low enough amount of CYA to not show up on that test. If you've had the same pool water for a while, a year or more, I'd find it mildly hard to believe you have no CYA, but it is certainly possible.

Double check the test, make sure the pool water sample is at room temperature prior to mixing it with the CYA reagent, and let us know what you get.
It is kind of hard to believe that as well. I don't know much about history of pool. I purchased the house on June and pool water has never been change since then. And I don't know if previous owner had changed water as well.. And there was a break out green alage due to not running the pool for more than 10 days . So I hired pool company to take care since then. I will do another reAding. Room temperature ? I just graded from the pool and mixed up though. Water temperature should be around 63

retest the pool. Here is the reading.
FC-1.5
CC- 0
PH 7.9. After Added 15oz acid.
TA 110
CH 320
CYA 20. Couln't tested with the Taylor k2006. But black dot almost dissapper at 30. So I brought it to the pool store
and they got it for 20
everything else is almost the same. But I got FC 1.5. But they said 0.
And Ph level I got it for 7.9 -8.0. They got it for 7.8.
They recommended me to add 1.1 gallon liquid chlorine. And 2.5 cups acid. And one tab each week. They said my cya is too low.
Any recommmond ?

The only way to adjust CH is to drain water. Your CH is not crazy high so I would not mess with it right now. I WOULD work in Pool Math (link in blue oval at the top of the page) to see where your CSI is. Make sure to put the water temp in as that has quite a bit to do with it.

How is your PH doing? Does it just up each day or does it slowly creep up during the week? The answer to that will tell me if you need to work on your TA.

Your water does look good. Do you think you could read the heads/tails on a coin on the bottom of the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just done with pool water testing
FC 10 not sure if that's too High. I added 1gallon liquid Chorine two days ago.
pH 7.9. Still that high I added 2.5 cups acid two days ago
TA 100. Still the same.
CH 300
Cya 25.

I added another 2.5 cups acid since 7.9 is so High.
I used a bucket and fill some water from the pool and pour 2.5 cups acid to the bucket. Then dump that water with acid along the pool. Did I do anything wrong. And bottom of pool cover with dirt. I brush and vacuum. So done today.
Any recommendation at what else I need to do ?

Those tablets add all kinds of stuff your pool does NOT need. The "worst" thing it adds is CYA (stabilizer). If you keep using them your CYA will keep building up to the point you will have to drain water to get it back down to a normal level.

Go up a couple of post to where I have a couple of links. Find the one about the pool care schedule. I have it printed out and hanging on the inside of the cabinet door the test kit is kept in. This should become your schedule for your pool.

I keep a log of my test results. After a while you will start to see a pattern and things will get even easier! I even put in big weather events such as big rains or extra hot days.

Those tablets add all kinds of stuff your pool does NOT need. The "worst" thing it adds is CYA (stabilizer). If you keep using them your CYA will keep building up to the point you will have to drain water to get it back down to a normal level.

Go up a couple of post to where I have a couple of links. Find the one about the pool care schedule. I have it printed out and hanging on the inside of the cabinet door the test kit is kept in. This should become your schedule for your pool.

I keep a log of my test results. After a while you will start to see a pattern and things will get even easier! I even put in big weather events such as big rains or extra hot days.

So. Should I just add stuff to bring up the CYA level instead of using the tab since my CYA level is too low ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.