Please help determine whether I have the necessary equipment to install a SWG.

bloona

Feb 2, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I've read through quite a few posts posts on this topic, but still cannot definitively determine what is or isn't in my EasyTouch box. I would like to convert my pool to salt by installing an IC60. I wasn't sure that I wanted salt water when the pool was under construction, but I instructed the pool builder to design/build the pool as if I did (along with plumbing it for future heat pump and future slide). I am hoping that I only need to find/install a salt cell.

Here are some photos of my equipment set up and control panel. I would appreciate any and all assistance. I recently divorced, and it seems as though most contractors who I've tried to hire recently have tried to take advantage when I'm lacking knowledge in whatever area, or disappear halfway through the job, so I would like to try to do this myself. (I can be fairly handy, just do not have much knowledge/experience w electrical work.) Thanks in advance. IMG_4179.jpgIMG_4177.jpgIMG_4185.jpgIMG_4182.jpg

B,

Your EasyTouch did not come with the IntelliChlor (SWCG) package. To Install a SWCG you will need to buy the External Power Center and the salt cell. You will need an IC40 or better yet, in your location an IC60.

I have no idea what the extra transformer is for. It is not the SWCG transformer. I suspect it is for your pool lights, but it does not look like a pool rated transformer to me. I would not swim with the lights on until you have that checked out. I looked the P/N up and it is indeed a Pool rated Intermatic transformer.. :goodjob:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
B,

It can be done, but there is a lot more to it. You need the transformer, the small circuit breaker, the Surge Card (Power supply) and the cabling that connects to the cell itself.

It makes much more sense to buy the external Power Center and then just run AC power from the Load side of the pump filter relay to the Power Center. Then connect the EasyTouch's com port to the Power Center's com port. The Cell then just plugs into the Power Center.

Obviously, it is better to buy the EasyTouch that comes with the saltwater option, but adding the External Power Center is the next best thing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for your help. So it seems as though I need this part https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-520556-IntelliChlor-Chlorine-Generator/dp/B000VE3HD2 and an IC60 salt cell, correct?

Another question: the pool was supposed to be heat pump (as well as salt cell) ready. Judging by what you can see from the photo of my pool equipment and EasyTouch box, does it look as though adding a heat pump would be as simple as connecting one to the plumbing, or would it be more involved to connect it to automation, etc?

B,

Adding the heat pump to the plumbing will be the only real issue. This is something the automation is programmed to do. You just need to connect a couple of low voltage wires between the Heat Pump and the EasyTouch. Depending on the heat pump, you either add wires to the "Fireman's" Loop or the RS-485 com port.

Usually, you buy the Power Center and Cell together.

Here is an example for a set that comes with the IC40.. It looks like their IC60 package is out of stock.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.