Please explain brushing a plaster pool

I fully brushed my pool twice this year I think. But if it matters, I feel I should brush it more. I run a robot once a week. I don’t suspect it will rise on my priority list until algae presents.

Reactions: Rich807
I like to get in the pool and use these scrubbie mitts called "Mytee Mitts" and just float around the walls scrubbing... diving down to scrub low, reaching over and wide along walls....... I actually consider it exercise for me, but good for the pool too. Skippy gets in the pool with the brush on the pole and walks around. Far more enjoyable than doing it from outside the pool.

Other wise we do use Sheldon 2.0, our robot, almost daily which helps brush things up.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
Skippy gets in the pool with the brush on the pole and walks around. Far more enjoyable than doing it from outside the pool

I do most of my brushing and vacuuming while swimming. It’s amazing how little it seems like work that way. Especially with the mask and snorkel on. I can see much better and it’s Peace and quiet for however long it takes.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I’m deff brushing less next season. I’m still brushing 3xwk and running my robot every other day. It takes me about 20 mins each time. I’m thinking I’m doing it too much from reading this thread.

You have the robot for most of your cleaning but without one, i use the vacuum head with the bristles. It kills 2 birds with one stone for the most part. The regular brush just stirs it up so the FC can kill it. My way stirs it up and sucks out most of it in the process. It goes to the filter to die and never be seen again. (Unless its filter cleaning time) Maybe once a week vacuum with the bristles to 'brush' and get the spots that the robot may have missed. I went the whole season this year without needing to brush. I used the brush a few times to sweep debris but the vinyl was squeaking clean the whole season. Vinyl is easier to tell than your gunite because if it is the least bit slippery anywhere its time to brush, but the vac idea works just as well for your gunite.

I also find that my kids are the best need-to-brush-ometer that money can buy. Between the handstands, dives and hanging off the walls they touch every last inch of the pool and tell me right away if anywhere is slimy. ‘Thanks sweetie I’ll vacuum it good there tomorrow’.

You guys who brush with a cup of coffee or cocktails...how do you do that? Even with the TFP Whaletail, I need two hands on the pole!

You guys who brush with a cup of coffee or cocktails...how do you do that? Even with the TFP Whaletail, I need two hands on the pole!

My vinyl and I imagine fiberglass also is easy to brush but to maximize my distance per sweep I need to go hand over hand and extend. Take a few swipes and pause for a swig. Now that you mention it however, one of those 2 beers on a hat with a straw from the 80s would work wonders and give me 30% more productivity.

712Uij79O0L._SL1500_.jpg

From Amazon...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hate brushing as much as you do. That is why I have a robot. When I put the M500 in I make sure I run a bunch of cycles in hopes it brushes enough of my pool so I dont have to. Every few weeks I try to brush the corners and the steps and sun shelf which I know the robot does not reach. But I hate that task.

It’s almost worth hiring a pool service to do nothing but brush my pool, and occasionally clean my filter (another task I hate). I will handle everything else. I wonder what kind of looks I would get asking pool guys if thats all they would do?
Probably the same looks I get when I ask a house cleaner if she’d just clean my showers! 🤣

Probably the same looks I get when I ask a house cleaner if she’d just clean my showers! 🤣
Well, unlike a pool, I do see a visible benefit to scrubbing toilets. When I was working and had housecleaners, I always made sure to clean the toilets before they came, I mean, because.

• Haha
Reactions: Wake9909
I used to brush the pool every week or two before I got the robot. Now the brushing is down to once a month, and the robot is in 2 to 3 days a week. Thinking of the days just after the new plaster was applied when I had to brush 3-4 times a day for a month...that almost trauma inducing. :rolleyes:

I find it relaxing to brush my pool. Takes about 20 minutes and 1 maybe 2 Bourbons. I have found that since I bought the Wall Whale or Whale Wall brush, whichever it is, it's so much easier on my back and arms. Works great and no, I don't get any endorsement moneys.

I used to be an every other day guy my first 2 seasons. Last year I was down to 3 times a week this season I’m literally 1 xwk. I feel like I should be doing it more but the robot is in for a few hours at least 2 times a week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.