Annapolis MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I’ve been doing the same thing to winterize since I got the house, but now that I have access to some experts, I’m wondering if there’s a better way.

Here are the steps I follow:

1) make sure the water is balanced
2) Backwash and drain filter
4)Drain the water below the returns
4) Blow water out of the returns and skimmers
5) Pump Anti-Freeze into the returns and skimmers
6) Blow out returns and skimmers again
7) Plug returns and skimmers
8) Pressurize drain line from pump
9)Re-fill pool to 8” from skimmer.
10) Install Cover

I think this is probably overkill, but I can’t imagine having a pipe freeze and break.

Any suggestions for improvement ?

I don't understand this. Once antifreeze is in the lines, aren't they already plugged?
+1. You’re defeating the purpose of adding antifreeze by blowing it out. If you’re concerned, blow the lines twice, then add antifreeze and cap. Let the antifreeze stay in the lines.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Except that if you blow, then stop, the lines fill up again. The only time I've blown more than once is if I'm not getting a good seal on a return line. Then I take out the two return line plugs and reblow. Once they're blown and plugged....done.
OP said water is drained below returns before blowing. How could they refill in this scenario unless I’m missing something?

OP said water is drained below returns before blowing.
Yeah you're right. Didn't look back or recall that part. Well, that's a sure way of blowing them out. For me, that'd be aLOT of water to pump out. Still have to be plugged unless using a solid cover and fairly certain no additional water will get in or raise the level above the returns. It'd be cool to see exactly how much water is left in the lines after 'draining' them by lowering the water level that far.

Yeah you're right. Didn't look back or recall that part. Well, that's a sure way of blowing them out. For me, that'd be aLOT of water to pump out. Still have to be plugged unless using a solid cover and fairly certain no additional water will get in or raise the level above the returns. It'd be cool to see exactly how much water is left in the lines after 'draining' them by lowering the water level that far.
I winterize in a similar way as op, except my equipment is 7-8 feet below the water surface. Consequently I blow from the pool, back to the pad. There’s a fair amount left in the lines before I blow, but after they’re bone dry. I pump antifreeze and cap and don’t refill the pool. Usually winter rain and snow melt fills the pool again by spring.

Reactions: anthonypool89
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.