Plastering in New York In the Fall

Gottabewet

Silver Supporter
Jun 18, 2018
Hudson Vally NY
Hello,

Our new gunite pool is ready to be plastered with Hydrazzo. The temps in New York for the next 30 days are potentially chilly. Highs in the 60's, lows in the 40's. I really wanted to try and get this plastered this year. The springtime can be just as chilly. I don't think it should be much of a problem, but I'm wrong half the time. I figure for the next 30 days the plaster will cure nicely. I would not close the pool until mid November to give it 45 days before we close it down. Am I taking too much of a chance. I don't believe I am allowed to use the electric heater for the pool during the plaster cure period?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Don't.

Reschedule it for May 2023 or later.

45 days is not enough time for the plaster to cure and the pH to stop rising. You run the risk of high pH while closed and find scaling on your new plaster when you open.

In addition the plasterer will add calcium to the plaster to accelerate the hardening with the colder temperatures and that can cause mottling and white spotting.

@ajw22 just curious - how long for a pebble finish before the pH rise becomes more stable? My pool was completed in June of this year and I still fight pH rise.

Range can be from a year to never. Your pH could be rising due to other factors such as your SWG.

Don't.

Reschedule it for May 2023 or later.

45 days is not enough time for the plaster to cure and the pH to stop rising. You run the risk of high pH while closed and find scaling on your new plaster when you open.

In addition the plasterer will add calcium to the plaster to accelerate the hardening with the colder temperatures and that can cause mottling and white spotting.

Thank you for the insight. I still may move forward because I need to pave the long driveway and I can't have the 7 tractor trailers that bring the pool water the destroy the pavement. And we can't plant grass till the driveway is in. A rubiks cube from heck. I hope we have a nice Indian summer and maybe I can push back the closing for 60 days.

You need to keep leaves, that will start falling in mid October, out of the pool or they will make a big mess in the water and possibly stain the new plaster with their tannin. That is the real problem with keeping a pool open longer in our area.

You need to keep leaves, that will start falling in mid October, out of the pool or they will make a big mess in the water and possibly stain the new plaster with their tannin. That is the real problem with keeping a pool open longer in our area.
Fortunately we have an auto cover so keeping leaves out will be manageable. Fingers crossed everything works out. Thank you

Then keep your pool open until you get a hard freeze coming and keep the pump running 24/7 and maintain the water chemistry. Especially the pH.

Will you have a winter cover? An auto cover is not made to handle large snow loads.

Then keep your pool open until you get a hard freeze coming and keep the pump running 24/7 and maintain the water chemistry. Especially the pH.

Will you have a winter cover? An auto cover is not made to handle large snow loads.

I will keep pumps running 24/7, which I also do even in the summer. And I just ordered a loop-loc mesh winter cover. Fingers crossed for a mild fall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.