Plaster overspray on Tile grout

ATXFirstPool

Aug 4, 2019
Austin, TX
Does anyone know how to remove gunite overspray on top of the grout? My pool builder popped out a knife and showed me how easy it is to remove it and suggested I get a wire brush, but this hasn't worked. **The waviness of the tile is just distortion from the water.

Yes, I know this is their responsibility but they are terrible and it's often proven easier to just do things like this myself before they get around to it. Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this? I would use a knife but don't want to accidentally go through the tile grout as well.

IMG_4309.jpg

IMG_4307.jpg

IMG_4310.jpg

I would use a knife but don't want to accidentally go through the tile grout as well.

Use a knife, or a grout saw, or whatever scraping tool you feel comfortable with.

You need to feel how well the plaster is adhering to the grout. In some places it may pop right off and others it will be fused to the grout. Work slowly and remove thin layers until you get down to the grout.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused. How is gunite overspray able to be "on" the grout in the first place?
Order of ops is Hole > Plumbing > Rebar > Gunite/Shotcrete > Tile > Plaster

The only place grout should exist is in the tile at the waterline and above. This grout would have been done after tiling, but prior to plaster. I do see a darker tone grout in the image of the transition of the two-tone chiclet tiles. But that appears to be intentional because it's so specifically contrasted? If not, it is possible they did those at two different times and got the grout mix and/or consistency different. Over-wiping it can also dilute the color and change it.

Traditionally the "grout" between the underwater tiles is the plaster itself. And in your images I'm nearly certain its a lack of plaster in between those spaces that is giving you that darker color. When zooming in, I can see the vertical sides of the tile and the shadows showing it's a void.

You are right, I used the wrong word. It is plaster over the tile.

They did gunite, then tile (with grout, even on the steps underwater), then plaster.
You've contradicted yourself, but I think I understand what you meant to say. 😉

To clarify:
- The PB would have adhered the tile to the shotcrete using thinset mortar. I'm assuming this is what you are calling grout.
- The thinset would indeed have been used to set all the tiles, above and below the waterline.
- The tiles at the waterline and above, are grouted in between the tiles. They would have use a sanded/unsanded grout for this, not plaster.
- The tiles underwater in your pool floor, are finished with plaster in between the tiles.

All of the above should prove true.

The contrast you are seeing in the grout between your white and blue tiles in your 2nd photo look intentional. The color is fairly uniform at the tile color transition. I could be convinced though, that they did this earlier or later and the mix was altered and went darker or lighter. Can you provide an image from farther away showing both sides of that white > blue < white tile transition?

I'm still convinced the shading you are seeing on your underwater tile are gaps. Some thinset could have pushed up between the tiles during install, but they really do appear to be voids. This would be easy to confirm with a thin plastic tool. If you can press it between the tiles, you know it's a gap. You could also use a coin, just do not hold it there for long.

I'll have to check on the white/blue transition tomorrow and take another photo.

For the underwater tile, I verified no gaps. It must be thin set mortar if it is not grout. Either way, the plaster is over whatever material is in between the tiles underwater, so I need to find a way to scrub it off. I guess this is not a super common issue.

@ajw22 Allen I need another set of eyes on that image above.

The red circled area looks like plaster over the joint lines.

The green circled area looks like empty grout lines.

Hard to tell what is going on. A little bit of plaster on the grout lines is normal. It would not bother me and I doubt anyone using the pool will notice it.

Some people think their pool should be a pristine work of art. I view the pool as a place to swim.

Screenshot_20230304-193230_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Bperry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.