It's go time.... PLASTER DAY!!!

pewl

Aug 3, 2018
Coastal SoCal
It's been quite a long haul so far... As long as we pass inspection, we may be plastering this week! I'm feeling a bit unprepared and need to really study Pool School (have it printed out already!) and get my TF-100 kit!
We are using regular old-school plaster (no aggregate finish) in our pool. Our PB uses a company who as he described it will "mix the color to the white plaster on site". Although everything our PB has done so far, we've been extremely pleased with, this mixing on site makes me a bit weary after reading that this process (vs. using a factory premixed plaster) can have more issues with inconsistent color. I also have read that using colorfast/inorganic color pigment is a must... and I have no idea what they use. Are these as big of issues as I am making them out to be?
What should I be looking for in terms of prep before plastering and what to look out for during?

Also, I am wondering what the water color difference is when using a blue plaster vs a gray colored plaster. I want a "not-too-dark" medium-colored plaster. I am aware of mottling issues and am ok with that. PB says to stay on the lighter side so it isn't as obvious. Any advice or recommendations on blue vs gray plaster? Or a grayish blue?

Our pool will have a SWCG but if I've read correctly, that doesn't get used in the first month.
I'll be purchasing a TF-100 kit today, and am wondering what add-ons I should get? Obviously the salt strips or Taylor set? ph meter? Any chemistry refills I might need if a new pool requires a lot of initial testing?

pH Meter (Add $14.00 )
Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer (Add $40.00 )
Borates Test Strips (Add $9.95 )
Salt Test Strips - Aqua Chek (Add $11.95 )
Taylor K-1766 Salt Test (Add $27.00 )
Standard Sampler (Add $16.00 )

Thank you for any advice! :)
IMG_3796.jpg
IMG_3797.jpg

Last edited:
I would skip the salt test strips. If you want to test salinity, the K1766 is the way to go.

You do not need the borate strips unless you plan to run a borate pool. Personally I would think if you add the borates needed you will lose very little as you will most likely never have enough rain at once to over flow the pool. Unless you are going to have a sand filter that you will be backwashing. Only significant time you will add borates is when you drain the pool to reduce the calcium buildup.

pH meter is up to you. Many love them. I have no issues with the color matching.

I would suggest the Whale Wall brush. It works great. Also a quality skimmer. I used to go through one a year until I got one from TFTestkits. It works great.

The BLING is so awesome that I have your picture saved and have used it to show how a tile job should look!! It has already inspired a couple of builds!!

On the plaster both will be pretty but just think what the gray would look like with all of the blue BLING! Ilove blue and gray together!!!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: pewl

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, Kim! :)

I'd love to do some fancy reflective high-end finish! However, our budget got killed having to dig down to 14' or so to create a concrete pad under the pool because of our proximity to a slope. Plaster it is! :rolleyes: It's ok because I don't mind a little mottling and I like the smooth feel of it.

I will definitely get SpeedStir- thanks!

The pipe is a return, I think. :unsure: . I sure hope they are planning on washing/prepping the surface for plaster. It's a must, right?

I don’t know how they are going to plaster over that pipe....the plaster is the same thickness as the height of that tile, and the pipe sits much higher. I can see the “fix” they did, but capping that return may be a better option, or chisel out some gunite around it on the top stair, and heat bend it up and straight. The plaster will be compromised in the area of that pipe surface.

Last edited:
Well it's wait until next week... a cover for a crawlspace at the front side of the house where the workers were clearing stuff out wasn't on when the inspector came so we had to reschedule the plastering company from tomorrow to hopefully next week. :rolleyes:

Oh you have no idea between our new house build and now this pool the silly hoops this guy has made us jump through. It's ok, we've been doing this since what- July? August? Another week gives me more time to get my Pool School reading to sink in, haha.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.