Plaster has Many Small Cracks. What to do?

Coach_1

May 10, 2016
Duncan, Ok
So my pool has many small cracks in the steps and the edges of the steps are chipping off. As you can see the algae loves the cracks and I can’t keep it out. We bought the house 3 years ago and best I can tell from research is the pool is around 20 years old. I use the TFP method and water numbers are in the recommended range and have been since I opened it. What is the cause of the cracks and what do you recommend I do?

Attachments

• 9B3C2AD5-381E-4DF5-A4E1-4367B7D12A7E.jpeg
    9B3C2AD5-381E-4DF5-A4E1-4367B7D12A7E.jpeg
    383.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 795E5FD6-6ABE-4595-B323-9C95FB7C4548.jpeg
    795E5FD6-6ABE-4595-B323-9C95FB7C4548.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 79
The plaster is at the end of its useful life. Time for a chipout and replaster job.

You have to ask around among local pool builders who they use to plaster. Lots of plaster crews are subcontractors.

Thanks I’ll get some references for the plaster. I just didn’t know if it was possible to repair it and get a couple more years out of it. Haven’t researched a replaster job yet but it just sounds expensive.

So a friend of mine had his pool replastered last year by a local company and highly recommended them. He said they did great work and had great customer service and my buddy is extremely picky and not afraid to tell people if he’s not happy. So if he recommends them then they’re probably good. Said it took 7 days start to finish and with a full chip out. I went over and check out his pool today and it seemed really nice. It’s crazy how smooth new plaster is compared to my 20 year old plaster. He said he was able to save a lot of money by not replacing the tile so I’ll probably do the same as my tile looks good. I’ll just give it a thorough cleaning while it’s empty when they redo it. They’re coming out tomorrow to give me an estimate. So we’ll see.

What are some questions I need to ask him tomorrow?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So got a quote for $7,500 and no chip out. If I understood correctly they drain, sand, apply a bond coat then plaster. Also fix any hollow spots. And no tile replacement. Does this seem about right?

It's in the ballpark.

Thanks but is a chip out necessary or is what he’s recommended ok? The only cracks are on my steps.

If the only cracks are on your steps probably not. They can chip out those cracked areas.

A sandblast will likely cost less than a chipout and gives you a pristine surface for plaster. If you're doing it, you don't want to risk a re-do in less time than a replaster would otherwise buy.

They sandblasting the plaster of or sanding it down?

Someone had their plaster sand blasted and discovered after the work was done and the pool willed that their main drain was plugged with sand. Keep an eye on what they do.

I suspect it is not sand blasting. You should confirm what you are getting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.