Plaster failure

Most courts have their dockets online and you can search them. If they aren't online, dockets are public record, meaning you can walk into the courthouse and ask to use a public terminal, where you can do a search. That will tell ya if they have been sued before and what the outcome was. Great tool, specially when researching prospective contractors, etc.

He is not being honest. He couldn’t possibly build 400 pools a year. Nor could he win every case in court nor could he really be happy about being reported to the state licensing board.
I really just don’t even want to have to deal with him anymore. Period.
He plastered my pool and 2 years later nodules started to form. The following year a big chunk of plaster falls off the wall and he’s acting like it’s my fault but he’s such a great guy he’s going to repair it anyway. What a joke this guy is.

Well, the PB just left.
He came by this morning with his plaster expert/negotiator. They looked at the pool, agreed with me that it didn't look good and offered to replaster the pool and split the cost. I asked if they thought that it really needed to be replastered and they said that they thought it would be the best thing to do since there were already new nodules growing since the repair job. I then asked them how they came to the conclusion that I should stick my hand in my pocket on this one. They both tried to convince me that it would be a long and drawn out process and that in the interest of time and aggravation, they would be willing to provide the labor if I paid for the material so we could both move on. I said that I really don't see any way that I could be responsible for this so if they want to bring in experts and pay them to blame me, go for it. I have already had my expert over here and he gave his opinion. I would imagine you value his opinion since you sent an article that was written by him to me to determine what caused the issue. They kind of backed down at this point and agreed to just replaster the whole pool with the agreement that there would be no future warranty on the replaster. Since this is a normal condition of any warranty, I agreed.
They said they would call me on Monday and schedule the work. Let's see how it goes from here...

In this scenario I would hire an independent inspector with good credentials in the area. Just having him there will help a lot. They will know he could inspect at any time and he will know when short-cuts are being taken.

Good luck!
Chris

Reactions: Leebo
I wish I could have seen their faces when you told them you had THE author of the paper they sent you out to see the pool in person!! SCORE!!!

Now do you have all of this in writing?

Chip out-this needs to be a FULL chip out. They may try to just chip out around the returns and such. This is much cheaper for them of course. A full chip out is the whole pool. That way you CAN inspect the shell.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wish I could have seen their faces when you told them you had THE author of the paper they sent you out to see the pool in person!! SCORE!!!

Now do you have all of this in writing?

Chip out-this needs to be a FULL chip out. They may try to just chip out around the returns and such. This is much cheaper for them of course. A full chip out is the whole pool. That way you CAN inspect the shell.

Kim:kim:

Doesn’t sound like they have been down this road.. if they had been; they would know were the ansi standard criteria & codified language actually comes from & litigiusly negate a third party.

My comment is not to best practice or cause of failure. Juz sayin

I’m not sure what you mean by “the shell is the culprit “ are you saying that it is somehow possible that the shell has caused this to happen?
The shell was existing but the spa was a brand new addition. Since we have nodules on both old and new would that still fit into what you were thinking ?

I'd be a little concerned about the "no warranty" deal - they could just slap on some cheap chinese plaster, trowell it incorrectly, too much CaCl, etc, etc, to get out as quickly as possible. Definitely be there on the day they plaster. Tell them you don't want more that 1.5% CaCl in the plaster mix. I'm sure there will be more useful tips from the regulars on this forum.

Well it’s now been a year since bringing this to the attention of the pool builder who plastered the pool. He finally came by in January and drained the pool. They took a grinder to the nodules and did a quick patch on 3 good size spots where the plaster had fallen off the wall. He didn’t understand what was happening and told me he hasn’t seen this in his 40+ years of pool building. He then decided to attend a seminar on plaster and chemical management on February 6 2019. Now he tells me he thinks it’s a chemical imbalance that caused 3 1/2 year old plaster to just fall off the wall as shown in this photo.
View attachment 93725
He says he wants to send me some pamphlets and literature proving that it is my problem not his. He has invited me to check with my experts as well to come to a conclusion in this matter.
The contract does warranty plaster work “bond only” for 5 years.
Any thoughts on this one? Onbalance are you out there? I really need to get this issue resolved. My salt cell has also gone out due to the TDS in the water once the plaster fell off and the base was exposed.
I maintain my chemistry diligently and have used this site exclusively for advice since the planning stages of the pool 6 years ago.
Thanks to anyone who can offer any help. I have more photos as well.

We just went through something similar. Our 4.5 year old plaster started delaminating. The company has a 10 year warranty thankfully. According to my research, there are three main reasons for early plaster delamination. Too much calcium chloride used in mix to speed up setting in hot temperatures. Surface not prepped properly. Surface not prepped properly. I brought this to the attention of the warranty guy.

The first course of action was to send a diver out to grind the spots. This looked ugly. Two months later a new spot delaminated. This time they gave us the option to redo the pool in the original white plaster for no charge or to upgrade to aggregate and just pay for materials. We chose to upgrade.

I’m confident there are more knowledgeable folks on this site who can better explain things. The one thing I do know for sure is that aggressive water does not cause delamination. It poses other issues but not delamination. This was not due to owner neglect.

I’m attaching pics of my meticulously maintained pool and the plaster defects. The first one was the most recent spot. The others are where the diver used the grinder.

Attachments

• 2F4B7EE6-7FC1-4234-8AF6-376ED6BFE71A.jpeg
    2F4B7EE6-7FC1-4234-8AF6-376ED6BFE71A.jpeg
    366.2 KB · Views: 20
  • C9D10ADF-0218-4FDA-9A7D-A0BD18D927E5.jpeg
    C9D10ADF-0218-4FDA-9A7D-A0BD18D927E5.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 21
  • 289C99AA-2F42-4854-ACD8-6B1C362F108D.jpeg
    289C99AA-2F42-4854-ACD8-6B1C362F108D.jpeg
    306 KB · Views: 19
  • 69BDB8F0-4535-429D-96CF-7208DB154CF2.jpeg
    69BDB8F0-4535-429D-96CF-7208DB154CF2.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 20
  • A68A7B44-A818-482A-8478-4596AC663628.jpeg
    A68A7B44-A818-482A-8478-4596AC663628.jpeg
    407.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 3F341E71-A5A7-41E6-8E77-1F9E02BA4120.jpeg
    3F341E71-A5A7-41E6-8E77-1F9E02BA4120.jpeg
    402.8 KB · Views: 20
  • F6549133-F69D-4D96-8E55-C6FBADDCFC5F.jpeg
    F6549133-F69D-4D96-8E55-C6FBADDCFC5F.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 21
The first course of action was to send a diver out to grind the spots. This looked ugly. Two months later a new spot delaminated. This time they gave us the option to redo the pool in the original white plaster for no charge or to upgrade to aggregate and just pay for materials. We chose to upgrade.

Just be sure the surface is prepped properly this time or it will delaminate again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.