Planning Stage - Need your woulda/shoulda/coulda

Or another option is what we are doing. We have an existing half bath on an exterior wall leading into our backyard with a window. We are removing the window and adding a door. So swimmers will have direct access to a bathroom without going through the house. And we still have the same number of bathrooms to maintain. Of course this option won't be available to many, but might could with a few.

Now that's a GREAT idea! We just re-did our exterior doors with AWESOME fiberglass doors. We replaced some really bad wood doors that were basically warped and letting in every critter under the sun not to mention letting out all our AC.

Since the door will be exterior, make sure they do a good job framing and sealing it. Also, where we are, doors can be made with "pool code" locks - essentially deadbolts set up around 30" from the top of the door so little ones can't get out. My entire house is set with pool code DBs and now my 2 yr old can't open any doors once I lock them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finished my pool. Well, almost. Still have the punch list to complete.

I wish I would have added a light near my equipment. I cannot see if I go over there at night. Oops!

I did fake grass in the backyard. I love it. No water, no mowing, no junk near the pool.

With a screened enclosure you won't have much debris...no leaves, sticks, bugs, etc. I'm not sure what that means as far as recommended cleaners go, but hopefully you can beat an answer out of some of the other folks with screened-in pools!

Just finished my pool. Well, almost. Still have the punch list to complete.

I wish I would have added a light near my equipment. I cannot see if I go over there at night. Oops!

I did fake grass in the backyard. I love it. No water, no mowing, no junk near the pool.

I'm with you dude! When we landscaped after the pool build, I did ~800 sq ft of premium quality turf. Looks great like real grass, let's moisture flow through it and stays cool since the base layer is not black. No watering (except to clean off bird poop) and all I do is use a turf rake to brush it up every other week or so.

Key with turf is - (1) A good installer that knows how to hide seems, and (2) single batch, high quality turf with UV blocker built into the material (not sprayed on) that has some yellow and browns in it to simulate real grass color.

I'm so glad I read this thread and saw the suggestion for a light by the equipment. I just told my husband and he's going to go check if the light nearest the pad is enough or if we should add one. Thanks for this thread - great ideas! - Karen

Or another option is what we are doing. We have an existing half bath on an exterior wall leading into our backyard with a window. We are removing the window and adding a door. So swimmers will have direct access to a bathroom without going through the house. And we still have the same number of bathrooms to maintain. Of course this option won't be available to many, but might could with a few.

OMG! That's exactly what we were talking about doing too! We were thinking about adding a semi-enclosed outdoor shower right outside that half bath, with the door leading into the half bath. Good to know that we weren't crazy for thinking about doing it. Have you looked into cost of changing the window to a door? I'd like to know if you care to share.

Good idea too about adding the shower! Just got my bid back (heart attack......) But he said the cost to remove the window and put an exterior door was about $750 (brick veneer wall). That was assuming there was no electrical or plumbing located in that wall.

Good luck!

if you are doing plumbing, "rough in" water and sewer and electric for an outdoor kitchen for the future? I also wish i had plumbed in a water supply source closer to my pool. and some low voltage wiring here and there just in case....

if you are doing plumbing, "rough in" water and sewer and electric for an outdoor kitchen for the future? I also wish i had plumbed in a water supply source closer to my pool. and some low voltage wiring here and there just in case....

Where's your equipment pad relative to your pool? If you have an electrical panel over there with a GFCI outlet, you get some LV landscape light transformers for petty cheap and run your own 12 gauge wiring.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

We're very lucky in that we got to design our new house and pool from scratch and one of must haves was a half bath that doubled for both regular and pool use so I cant recommend the above idea enough if it is at all possible.

Good idea too about adding the shower! Just got my bid back (heart attack......) But he said the cost to remove the window and put an exterior door was about $750 (brick veneer wall). That was assuming there was no electrical or plumbing located in that wall.

Good luck!

Cool! That's not as much as I was guessing, so that's good. I don't think there's electrical or plumbing where we're thinking of doing this. Did you go through the PB or a general contractor?

I will admit that I don't quite understand this one. What is the home run and how would it benefit?

Sorry. I meant a direct run for each skimmer and return back to the filter pad, that way I could individually control and balance them to my liking.

For example,
Right now, my 2 skimmers are tied together, and one pulls more more than the other.
My returns are either left or right. 4 on the walls. 2 in the steps. No way to isolate the steps only.

I second going to automation from the getgo. I am in in the final planning stages now and it took me plenty of research to realize that for just a little more bucks you can upgrade to a full automation system. For example, Hayward's Prologic serves as a Salt System manager also so you don't need an Aquarite (usual salt system only unit). The aquarite unit is around $650 while the prologic is around $900 and allows full automation. For me it was a no brainer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.