Norfolk, NE
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
This is my 4th season with our new construction pool. Last two seasons I've taken over my own maintenance - with lots of TFP help - and have done my own opening/closing.
I opened three days ago so SLAM'ing now.
I'm sold on converting to SWG. Tired of lugging chlorine and high stabilizer levels (its 90 now..)
I realize I'll still need to SLAM when I open and close.
I run my pump 24/7 for 7 months
Planning on an IC60 for a 26,000 gallon pool
My estimated savings from converting to a VS pump is almost $1000 a year.
But getting hung up on VS pump choice.
Any suggestions on which Pentair Intelliflo?

Any suggestions on which Pentair Intelliflo?
The gold standard is the 011028. VS pump. Newer version that has rotatable control pad. If you find a 011018, that is OK too. That is the older version. Still good.

Also, unless you Pentair automation, I would not recommend the IC60. There are better SWCG's for standalone systems. Circupool or Hayward make better SWCG's for standalone systems.

Also, unless you Pentair automation, I would not recommend the IC60. There are better SWCG's for standalone systems. Circupool or Hayward make better SWCG's for standalone systems.
Thanks Marty.

I used to be a salt water aquarium geek with over the top automation. It was cool as heck but much like a pool store just made me spend more money when it wasn't needed.

I wasn't planning on automation. If I went with another SWGC would you still stick with the Pentair pump?

I would stick with the Pentair pump.
The Pentair Intellichlors' have the brains/electronics in the cell. So they are expensive to replace. Most other SWCG's have the brains in a separate box. The cell is just the generation tool so it is cheaper to replace.

The Circu-Pool (discountsaltpool.com) RJ-60+ seems to be popular for our size pools (and larger). That's what I just pulled the trigger on. First the Circu-Pool SWG's in general are popular stand alone choices (i.e. not being paired with an automation system) and then of that brand the RJ series seems to be the most often choice amongst the folks here, who I trust more than just random advice elsewhere.

Just throwing out what my research found while making the same decisions you now are.

Side note: You will need a timer to run the SWG as VS pumps have power on all the time. There are other ways such as a smart (wifi) plug, etc. you could consider as well.

I did not have the want/need for a fully automated system , but still wanted a very high quality VS pump.
I decided on the Pentair Superflo VS 342001 over the Pentair Intelliflo. It is a great pump , and very easy to setup a nice VS schedule on the digital display panel . If you dont need a fully automated integrated pump style like the Intelliflo (or the cost $$$) , the Superflo is probably the second most recommended and used pump on TFP . I have had no issues with mine for 2 years now, and has paid for itself in the first year alone .
Oh, the Superflo has a rating of 1.5 hp , but dont let that fool you . It has way more power than the 2hp single speed I replaced it with . I rarely if ever need to run it at full power with 3 returns going back to the pool !

I just ordered a Circupool RJ60 to go with this pump , should be a great match !

Reactions: Sfmark
The Circu-Pool (discountsaltpool.com) RJ-60+ seems to be popular for our size pools (and larger). That's what I just pulled the trigger on. First the Circu-Pool SWG's in general are popular stand alone choices (i.e. not being paired with an automation system) and then of that brand the RJ series seems to be the most often choice amongst the folks here, who I trust more than just random advice elsewhere.

Just throwing out what my research found while making the same decisions you now are.

Side note: You will need a timer to run the SWG as VS pumps have power on all the time. There are other ways such as a smart (wifi) plug, etc. you could consider as well.
I was planning in wiring the pump and SWG on the same breaker so they would always run together.

Will that work?

Also, CYA is at 90. Can I leave it there for a SWG install or should I do a partial drain/refill? Looks like some resources say a higher CYA is OK for SWG. Others say if I have an APC - pool is covered for most of the time - that 40ish is better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was planning in wiring the pump and SWG on the same breaker so they would always run together.

Will that work?
Yes in theory as long as you keep the plan for 24/7. I joked on somebody else’s thread the other day that my timer had 2 times. Summertime and Wintertime.

being covered most of the time, and also in SD, You probably won’t need all that much FC production. It will be helpful to have a SWG with finer tuning available than 25% at a time, which would make it easier to ‘dial in’. If you find that you always seem to be in between settings, you can easily install a SWG timer after the fact. Personally I would probably just turn the SWG to 0% every third or fourth day and let the FC drift back down if that was the case.

That would be a swamp waiting to happen for me. I’d set to zero then forget. Haha. But agreed, smaller increments of adjustment are good (I like adjusting %) but a timer serves the same purpose of regulation.

Reactions: Newdude
That would be a swamp waiting to happen for me. I’d set to zero then forget. Haha
Soooooo true. I set timers on my phone for EVERYTHING. 5:15 flip hamburgers. 5:22 add cheese.

We need a negative boost mode that restores the last setting after 24 hours.

• Haha
Reactions: bmoreswim

Will that work?
To answer that question, yes you can run them both from the same breaker. Using your old pump timer would be most beneficial so that you can program your SWG to run inside your times programmed into your VS pump. The timer will serve as your control device for the SWG leaving the flow switch to be the safety device as designed. Just wire the pump to the line side of the timer and the SWG to the load side.

Pulled the trigger on the RJ60 plus as well. Still need to order the pump. Thanks for everyone’s help.

Reactions: onlyjeeps
I would stick with the Pentair pump.
The Pentair Intellichlors' have the brains/electronics in the cell. So they are expensive to replace. Most other SWCG's have the brains in a separate box. The cell is just the generation tool so it is cheaper to replace.
Pump ordered! Thanks Marty.

Reactions: mknauss
Ok. So the cell is in and the SWG control panel mounted. New pump and electrical Friday. No leaks thankfully.

Attachments

• 230B687D-5D56-46E8-95F5-B0A1CB25D199.jpeg
    230B687D-5D56-46E8-95F5-B0A1CB25D199.jpeg
    705.7 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: Newdude
@Sfmark From what I see in your picture...it looks like the cell is mounted upside down for use with a VS pump...according to the directions and if you are going to be utilizing the lower flow rates of a VS pump...I assume that's one of the reasons you bought a VS pump was to run it slower and save money. An easy fix though, just loosen, rotate and retighten. Below is a picture from the manual.

Congrats though, looks good! I'll be installing mine (and new VS pump) soon as I get a nice weather day on a weekend.

RJ-60+ Low Flow setup.jpg

@Sfmark From what I see in your picture...it looks like the cell is mounted upside down for use with a VS pump...according to the directions and if you are going to be utilizing the lower flow rates of a VS pump...I assume that's one of the reasons you bought a VS pump was to run it slower and save money. An easy fix though, just loosen, rotate and retighten. Below is a picture from the manual.

Congrats though, looks good! I'll be installing mine (and new VS pump) soon as I get a nice weather day on a weekend.

View attachment 132026

Thanks for catching that. I'll get it turned when the pump is running.

Mark,

If you went with the IntelliFlo, make sure you install it with pump unions... If you went with the SuperFlo VS, it comes with unions.

They have an o-ring on the threaded end and make a leak proof connection. Also make it easy to store the pump in the winter if you want.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.