Planned to open today but..

justsillyme

Well-known member
May 23, 2018
51
Central KS
Hey all! We had planned to open the pool today in Kansas but it is now saying the low for tonight is supposed to be 31. Not 100% sure it will be full enough by tonight to run the pump, we have low water pressure but I cant say for certain. Should we wait until tomorrow or go for it? We dont have a heater so no plans on swimming anytime soon. Just ready to look at the pretty pool instead of the cover :)
 

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
47,000
Tallahassee, FL
What is the future forecast? I would wait until there is a lower chance of temps being that low with out the pump being able to run.
Better safe than sorry in my world!
 

Beerfloater

Bronze Supporter
Feb 18, 2020
134
North Carolina
I just looked at the forecast for Great Bend Kansas..... Not sure how far from there you are, but the 10 day forecast shows only one day that will get down to 32 degrees. I say go for it. It would have to get below freezing and stay there for a while to hurt anything. I dont think that's the case. So did you wait or did you open?
 

justsillyme

Well-known member
May 23, 2018
51
Central KS
Thank you all! Next week is well above freezing, in the 80's for the highs and 60's for the Lowe's. We went ahead and opened. Shockingly the water had risen so much it was only an inch from below the skimmer. We will have to keep a close eye on it next year. Only took a few hours to raise it high and have been able to run the pump. It's always such a beautiful site to see the beautiful pool instead of the ugly cover ?
 

todd.brock

Silver Supporter
Jan 18, 2018
229
Cincinnati/OH
The year we built, we were waiting on the cov to be made in the fall. The pump would run when air temps got to like 45. It would scream at 3450 rpm all night. It drove me bananas. If your pump has freeze protection, I’d def wait until it’s no lower than the 50’s.