Pipes, fittings, and planning help needed

tmking86

Jul 21, 2020
Largo, FL
I need some engineering help please. I've spent hours researching this subject and, despite how interesting learning about hydraulics might be, I really need a faster solution. If anyone can help us cut to the chase and get this done right, I'd be very appreciative.

Here's the current set up: We have a 20' round AGP. It has two suction ports and one discharge port. I believe the suction ports are 1.25". After the flimsy filter pump that came with the pool failed - after only a couple of weeks - we replaced it with a same sized Intex pump which also failed quickly. (lightening DOES strike twice in the same place). We, probably erroneously, over-killed the next filter pump by getting a Hayward W3CC15093S XStream Above-Ground Pool Filter Pump System, 1.5 HP. But it's what we have so we need to make it work. What I would love help on is a detailed plumbing design that will give my pump the best flow possible. We plan to enlarge the suction holes in the pool but - is 1-1/2" big enough? What size hoses/pipes? We like the idea of PVC. What fittings do i need? What valves should we add? We want to do this re-plumbing right the first time and I just can't seem to find the combination of information to help me. Maybe someone can map it out for me (please?). This is the pic of what we currently have. The two hoses coming from the pool are what came with the pool. The larger suction line and the return line are what came with the pump. Thanks to anyone who can help.
IMG-6435.jpg

Why do you want to upgrade the size of your plumbing/fittings? Is the current setup not keeping the pool clean and clear?

after two awful filter/pump systems failed, it’s taken a few days to get our pool clean and clear again but I think we’ve got it back under control. We just wanted to give the pump a little more flow on the suction side. Bigger hose = less resistance = happier pump?

We are still getting little bubbles in the pump basket which leads to air in the filter but that’s another troubleshooting adventure.

Hi TM. Sorry about the late reply. You could go to a PVC sched 40 hard plumbed system or a spa hose system. I'm not sure if your current return and suction hoses are 11/4 or 11/2. Typically pump fittings are 11/2 or 2".
You could do your returns like the photo below which I believe is 11/2 or a 2' fitting on a ABG pool. Your suction fitting at the pool I've not seen before and would be hesitant to recommend anything there without more info.
You can use this site as a reference tool to check on appropriate parts: PVC Pipes & Fittings. I would also recommend moving this post to the above ground pool forum where you are likely to find a fellow ABG pool owner who has done this modification.
If found this post under the TFP above ground pool forum and it may help you: Hard Plumbing of AGP Done (w/ pics and parts list)
abg ppol.jpg

Last edited:
Hi TM. Sorry about the late reply. You could go to a PVC sched 40 hard plumbed system or a spa hose system. I'm not sure if your current return and suction hoses are 11/4 or 11/2. Typically pump fittings are 11/2 or 2".
You could do your returns like the photo below which I believe is 11/2 or a 2' fitting on a ABG pool. Your suction fitting at the pool I've not seen before and would be hesitant to recommend anything there without more info.
You can use this site as a reference tool to check on appropriate parts: PVC Pipes & Fittings. I would also recommend moving this post to the above ground pool forum where you are likely to find a fellow ABG pool owner who has done this modification.
If found this post under the TFP above ground pool forum and it may help you: Hard Plumbing of AGP Done (w/ pics and parts list)
View attachment 156450
Thank you! We are continuing to research our options. I didn’t know there was a forum specifically for above ground pools. I’ll check it out. Thank you, again.

Just be sure you use proper anti-entrapment covers on the pool side of those pipes. And definitely do not eliminate one of them, as having two is part of the anti-entrapment protection. You now have a pump that is likely more than enough to hold someone under water, stuck to the port. Having the proper covers and having two virtually eliminates that hazard.

How's your surface? I believe you can add a skimmer to an AGP. Maybe that's something to consider while you're upgrading.

Just be sure you use proper anti-entrapment covers on the pool side of those pipes. And definitely do not eliminate one of them, as having two is part of the anti-entrapment protection. You now have a pump that is likely more than enough to hold someone under water, stuck to the port. Having the proper covers and having two virtually eliminates that hazard.

How's your surface? I believe you can add a skimmer to an AGP. Maybe that's something to consider while you're upgrading.

I completely agree about the entrapment protection. We did add a skimmer that hangs over the side. Next time we have to drain the pool down some we may add an “in the wall“ skimmer. Thanks for the input.

You can ask one of the mods to move this whole thread over to where you started the other one... They will if they see both, but they don't always notice unless you point it out to them. I'm only a mere Guide so I don't have the power. They wouldn't trust me. I'd just delete everyone's posts except my own... :devilish:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can ask one of the mods to move this whole thread over to where you started the other one... They will if they see both, but they don't always notice unless you point it out to them. I'm only a mere Guide so I don't have the power. They wouldn't trust me. I'd just delete everyone's posts except my own... :devilish:
Haha. Thx. I copied and pasted into the other forum.

Right, but just your original post, not the answers you've collected so far. And other posters will be adding ideas now to both threads, which confuses everybody involved, and you'll need to keep an eye on both.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.