jalapenopopper

Jul 21, 2020
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Does anybody know if placing this much pipe together normal? I would think this is going to create a void and weak spot in the wall. Even rebar can’t be this close together to allow for concrete coverage, and I would think the plastic pipe may cause the wall to fail.

this is an owner build but I am hiring a pool plumbing company to do it. The crammed pipe is concerning.
Thanks,

Attachments

• 63B095F3-8AB9-4EC6-B3DC-34763560B2F3.jpeg
    63B095F3-8AB9-4EC6-B3DC-34763560B2F3.jpeg
    715.6 KB · Views: 89
That is not right.

Did you as the GC lay out the trenches during the dig for the plumber to lay his pipes into?

Thank you all. There is a space that will be beneath the bond beam and outside the walls but the pipes weren’t placed there. I need to look at it again. The plumbers didn’t ask too many questions and I was surprised they thought this is normal.
I spoke with an engineer that said if there is 2-3 inches of concrete on each side it should be okay. It seems like an obvious weak point.
There wasn’t a way to dig a trench around the pool due to trees and easements. Part of the reason why 11 pool builders wouldn’t bid.
Thanks all.

Attachments

• 1218D27F-0283-44D6-8F49-67704D674579.jpeg
    1218D27F-0283-44D6-8F49-67704D674579.jpeg
    761.8 KB · Views: 60
I spoke with an engineer that said if there is 2-3 inches of concrete on each side it should be okay. It seems like an obvious weak point.

We have had quite a few members from your area show up here with cracking pools. Your area has some shifting soils so beware.

Did that engineer put his stamp on any plans or did he just give you talk? Was he a geotechnical soils engineer?

I wish you good luck in your build.

Reactions: jalapenopopper
It was just texts too an engineer and I’m not confident in the answer.

my pool is in clay so I added extra steel a d thick walls. This plumbing is not professional IMO. This is through a company that is recommended in the area from this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pipes create what is essentially a control joint.

The purpose of a control joint is to make the concrete crack at a specific location if the stress builds up enough.

In my opinion, it's bad practice to put plumbing in the wall like that.

Carefully note the location of the plumbing in case you ever get structural cracks in the future to see if the cracks are aligned with the plumbing.

Reactions: jalapenopopper
I spoke with the plumbing company owner. The job was subbed out to another plumber that isn’t part of the company. The company I hired has a good reputation and works with OB a lot, and I have communicated that I will need guidance if something is amiss from standard construction. I explained that work should not have started if the prep wasn’t to their standard satisfaction.

There’s been so much demand in pools during the pandemic and then the winter storm hit the other week and damaged many pools in Central Texas.

I am going to dig a trench around the perimeter and the pipe will but cut out and redone.

thank you all for the replies and confirmation that this is not something to do. Since I am doing this on my own I am aiming to over build everything and this would be a huge weakness and potential be a huge mistake.

great point about the control join James. Like with anything, the first time is the hardest and steepest learning curve. A new facet that caught me off guard is the amount of work that has been dubbed out by the subs, not the best communication, and the amount of Spanish I am brushing up on. Once this wraps up, I think I will be able to help friends and folks on this forum who are doing owner build.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
C465AFEC-4BB4-440F-A0BC-209185178FE5.jpeg
I sketched this out. Would this be reasonable or will the concrete curing and possibly crack the pipes?

Thanks Jimmy.
What is crazy is they said they do this all the time. Acting like a leak in the shell is the same as under the deck. Not looking for longevity and seems wild.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.