Bronze Supporter
Jan 2, 2020
central america
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have some PVC pipe joint compound (Plasto-Joint Stick), and silicon tape. I'm leaning towards the pipe joint compound.
Any thoughts by anyone as to which might cause fewer issues, or would both be just as good?

Not sure which is better, but I will let you know my experience. I used joint compound that you buy in a jar with a brush and I had leaks around by return jet plumbing. I had to cut them out and use tape. I saw no issues on the suction side around the skimmer.

It's to connect the top of Pentair sand filter return/waste (black PVC?) to fittings
Something simple like that (open-ended waste line), just about either should work. Paste, teflon tape, etc. If you find later you need to seal a different line, let us know. Take care.

You would be better off using the unions that screw onto the outer threads.

If you want to use the MTA (male threaded adapter), I would suggest teflon tape followed by a paste sealant that sets up semipermanent.

Do not overtighten as the female part can crack, especially if you have too much teflon tape.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.