Electrical Heat Tape for Pool Pad Pipes/Valves?

Oct 8, 2017
Irving/TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
There may be some very obvious reason not to do this, but many versions of heat tape are made for PVC pipe. Is there in reason, in areas such as Dallas, where we never winterize pools, not to install heat tape on the exposed PVC in your pool equipment pad?

Such as: Amazon.com

This seems a very obvious solution to me, but I have to be missing something since I've never heard of someone doing it... thoughts?

I think heat tape gives a false sense of security unless you know your equipment well enough to get 100% coverage over exposed areas.

Tenting the equipment and putting a incandescent light bulb inside for heat accomplishes the same thing.

Keeping the water flowing is a sure thing at no additional cost or complexity.

Keeping the water going is absolutely the first and best defense and what we've been doing this week and in years past... however, a lightbulb in a 6'x13' area with only a 6' fence around it, isn't going to do very much heat wise and if it did, could it also not override the freeze protection sensor?

So perhaps my question would be, what is the downside of adding this extra step of protection for moderately extended periods of time?

No downside. Just don’t rely on it as you primary means of freeze protection.

Keeping the water going is absolutely the first and best defense and what we've been doing this week and in years past... however, a lightbulb in a 6'x13' area with only a 6' fence around it, isn't going to do very much heat wise and if it did, could it also not override the freeze protection sensor?

So perhaps my question would be, what is the downside of adding this extra step of protection for moderately extended periods of time?

It does more than you would think. I have a thin tarp draped over my equipment pad, nowhere close to "sealed" with the end by my heater open. With a 60w shop bulb laying in there next to my pump, it keeps my pad ~15 degrees above ambient air temp. With a thicker tarp and more care to how I'm sealing it against the house, would probably do even better.

As for the freeze protection sensor, just adjust the temperature calibration down so that it thinks it's colder than it really is.

Reactions: Newdude
I have heat tape on one of my pipes right now (backwash pipe) as I'm having an issue with it. It cant hurt, but certainly not your primary defense against ice.

For what its worth, my backwash pipe is frozen and was frozen when I added the tape. I haven't seen it crack yet, but the tape has not removed the ice from what I can tell either.

Absolutely agree 100% and appreciate everyone's thoughts. So glad we still have electricity (we have a generator too for backup for the house after 2021) so hopefully keep the pumps continuing to run 1 more night.

Reactions: Newdude
Great advice... I've ordered a tarp and hooks to mount for future use.

Doesn't have to be pretty to be effective! :) That said, I think I am going to get a bigger tarp and install some hooks in the future for a cleaner, better sealed install. Have also toyed around with creating some sort of "pop-up" that can slide over the pad and hug the wall.

Attachments

• IMG_2812.jpeg
    IMG_2812.jpeg
    739.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2813.jpeg
    IMG_2813.jpeg
    523.2 KB · Views: 8
There may be some very obvious reason not to do this, but many versions of heat tape are made for PVC pipe. Is there in reason, in areas such as Dallas, where we never winterize pools, not to install heat tape on the exposed PVC in your pool equipment pad?

Such as: Amazon.com

This seems a very obvious solution to me, but I have to be missing something since I've never heard of someone doing it... thoughts?
When I worked on pools in New Hampshire I used heat tape in pools I closed.But only as a last resort

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.