Oct 25, 2020
Denton, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Experts,

I have a salt pool and recently ordered the Taylor Phosphate test.
It tested 6000+ ppb.

New'ish pool...opened Oct 2020.

I've kept CSI maintained pretty nicely....currently @ -.15
Other specs: Temp 95, TA 90, CYA 70, PH 7.5, Salt 3000, CHL 5.8

I've read that it's no issue if CHL is maintained correctly. BUT, Winter is coming.

Questions:
1. I can use Phosphate remover to reduce this to near zero....but what are the implications on the plaster, equipment, water,....oh and that "health" thing with kiddos using the pool?
2. What are the implications of doing nothing?
3...if you're OCD like me, what is the general recommendation...to use or not to use phosphate remover...that is the question.

The science behind TFP shows that phosphates are no issue if sanitation is correctly applied. If there’s no algae potential, why worry?

If you’re having algae issues, especially in winter, then other aspects of your pool care need attention.

Reactions: Docpatel
Except under very unique circumstances, we almost never recommend phosphate treatment. It's generally a waste of money and time. We have warm TX water right now, but that will change in a couple months. Keep focused on your standard testing parameters and you'll do fine. :goodjob:

Thanks. But is 6000+ even normal?
I couldn't begin to tell you what is normal. I never test mine, nor do most here. Maybe @Donldson can give us more details.

I think we still have a few more weeks of frogs in the pool. I have plenty.

That level is not possible in that short of time unless you have added phosphate increasing chemicals. Test your fill water to see what it reads.

That level is not possible in that short of time unless you have added phosphate increasing chemicals. Test your fill water to see what it reads.

Since it’s not the fill water.
I do have an aqua pure system which has that swcg + minerals cartridge.
Ps — don’t plan to ever replace the minerals one since it adds metals…just let it sit there. Not sure if that factors into this conversation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Many water treatment plants use phosphates to protect metal lines in their system.

Your fusion thing does not add phosphates.

I doubt your pool has 6000 ppb. But who knows. Are you struggling with something in particular? In general, phosphates are not an issue.

Reactions: duade and Docpatel
By any chance did they add metal sequestrates when they built the pool? If so, how much??

Also, do you already have a phosphate remover bought??

Reactions: tim5055
I don’t know about the sequestrates. Don’t have phosphate remover bought…yet
I don’t know about the sequestrates. Don’t have phosphate remover bought…yet
Ohhh. But that said. I just looked up a Leslie’s test they did very soon after the pool was opened shows phosphate at 1,148.

There is something VERY odd about your results, to the point I’d really take a step back before doing anything. There’s no rush to remove the phosphates assuming you maintain the FC/CYA Levels however if your phosphates are at 6,000ppb then you may see some benefit from removing them.

This all said, let’s look at testing. Can you tell me how you’re preforming the test? Walk me through step by step??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.