Phosphates 4000+ - should I care?

May 2, 2021
Burlington, MA
Hi PoolGeniuses,
Religious follower of the TFP methods here. I test at home almost daily with Taylor Kit. I maintain my Chlorine levels per TFP chart (where is the old chart? I liked being able to see the whole table - the updated page is too fancy for me). Every so often, I go into Leslie's to buy chemicals and at the same time I have the water tested to compare their results to my own. They always tell me my phosphates are high, and I always ignore their recommendations to treat.
I have always had high phosphates (lots of landscaping around pool, etc.), but as expected they got even higher after I did a couple Metal Magic treatments last season (I have small amounts of Iron that I try to sequester to prevent stains). The phosphates are now reading 4000-6000 on pool store tests (I don't have the Taylor test for this).
I am thinking about treating the phosphates just to get them down to a more reasonable baseline, and to shut up the people at Leslie's. I will likely do a preventative MM dose at some point which I know will increase phosphates again. Questions...

1.) Should I bother to treat them? I have never had an algae issue, and I maintain proper TFP Chlorine levels. But still... 6000ppm seems like a lot.
2.) Best method to treat them? Any experience with SeaKlear Phosphate Remover? (No thank you to the 5+ gallons of Leslies diluted product that I would need)
3.) Do I need a clarifier if I use SeaKlear? Or can I just wait for the filter to clear it? I will start with a small dose and see how quickly it clogs up the filter. I have a cartridge filter so it will be a giant pain to remove this much phosphate... which is why I have avoided doing it thus far.

Thanks!!

the presence of phosphates doesn’t automatically mean algae . It’s generally not a concern if proper fc is adequately maintained but if you’re still concerned,
Here’s the deets
👇
I wouldn’t do anything just to appease Leslie’s- who cares what they think, they want to sell you things, it’s the nature of their business.
Before I went looking & spending $$ for a solution I would also be certain I actually had a problem.
Get your own taylor phosphate test if you are that concerned about it.
They’re about $30 on Amazon.

Reactions: Newdude
My test results:
pH 7.7 (Leslie says 7.5)
CH 280 (matches Leslie)
TA 85 (Leslie says 78 - they correct based on your cya level)
CYA 60 (matches Leslie)
FC 4 (Leslie says: Free 2.55 and Total 3.83 -- this gives me anxiety, but my test results are very reproducible - see CC below)
CC less than 0.5 (I did DPD drop test twice - it really doesn't change color when you add the R-003 - maybe I can see a hint of pink that clears with 1 drop of the first reagent)
Phosphates - I don't test them. Leslie says 4000+

To answer the SWG question... I have never touched it. Seems to work fine. The pool builder told me it would give off a message when it needs cleaning - I am on season 4 or 5 with it so far.

To answer why lower the phosphates... I am not sure! I have read on here that some people lower them when they get really high like mine, but I am happy to also ignore if that is reasonable. I just worry that a week out of town or a salt cell failure or who knows what, could be a setup for an algae bloom. But maybe I worry too much -:).

I just worry that a week out of town or a salt cell failure or who knows what, could be a setup for an algae bloom.
That could happen anyway - not phosphate specific.
Just the chance we all take when away for more than a couple days.
But maybe I worry too much -:).
Er, uhmmmm...... :poke:
But by your forum name, I wouldn't think so. :kim:

Reactions: Newdude
Leslie's wants to sell you phosphate remover. If their phosphate numbers are keeping you awake at night, get the Taylor K-1106 kit for about $30 (on sale at Amazon right now, usually closer to $40 retail) and test it yourself.

Joke part of my reply: if you really have 4000 ppm of phosphates, that needs fixing. Phosphates are measured in ppb.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.