Phosphate tracker

I am curious to see what programming ideas Lee can present. I use Poolmath for the basics, but I have a spreadsheet that I track everything from chemicals to wind, water refills to maintenance, dead critters to unusual chemical experiments, and even SWG production values.

While we are careful to keep the TFP chemicals protocol tightly scrutinized and populated only with simple products that have proven themselves over many years to work for the average pool owner, there are indeed unusual circumstances. In the end, it's a pool owner's choice what they add. If there is a simple programming add-on feature that meets a member's needs without compromising TFP's philosophy or confusing new members on the APP, IMO TFP should explore it. It may be possible or it may not, but improvements are what help to retain yet another faithful APP member.

If I named 40 items (large and small) where the forum could use some improvement, a phosphate tracker would not make my list.

Improvements need to be made in continuity of content and particularly the basic structure of the forum to make it simpler and more inviting.

The idea of tracking an item which is not part of out regimen just doesn't work. Should we create a space to record TDS? some folks think it is important. How about ORP? The list goes on.

What would I do with the data? Well I have adhd… I can’t remember Darn. If I don’t write it down, it’s forgotten in about 5 seconds. Since it’s recommended to not dump a cocktail of chemicals In the pool at once, I would follow up and add the required chemicals, 30 minutes, 2 hours or whenever I get to it. Or I can see how it trends much like I do with my hardness or alkalinity.

I would be fine with a notes box on the “log test results” menu. It would just be nice to have it all in one place.

The notes section under settings is not ideal as I would have to jump around menus and it would not be tied to a specific testing period.

I don’t care if there are suggestions of how much to add. I can easily look on the bottle.

If I named 40 items (large and small) where the forum could use some improvement, a phosphate tracker would not make my list.

Improvements need to be made in continuity of content and particularly the basic structure of the forum to make it simpler and more inviting.

The idea of tracking an item which is not part of out regimen just doesn't work. Should we create a space to record TDS? some folks think it is important. How about ORP? The list goes on.
If you created customizable toggles or a notes section in the “log test results” people could track anything they wanted and it would have no impact on other users or the philosophy or tfp

One other comment. It’s been said that Orenda can track phosphates. Is that really what you want the response to be? Do you really want someone to move to a different app because some people think phosphates are not worth tracking?

I have worked with a lot of people that are stuck in their ways of, that’s not how we have done things around here for the last 40 years. You know what happens to them? They got replaced. In this instance, it will push users to a different platform. I know I’m just one user and my $8 a year doesn’t mean much at the end of the day but eventually that will add up if people are not willing to change their old mindset and pivot to adjust to the changes around them.

I don’t care if there are suggestions of how much to add. I can easily look on the bottle.
Theb use the salt or borates field in the short term (unless you track both already).
If you created customizable toggles
Not being a developer, I see some headaches in trying to roll this out. I think it would be alot easier to shoot for generically named toggles. Track A / Track B / etc. You would have to remember what Track A was. But there would be a 00000 type value and a 0.0 type value. 0.0 would be to Track metals or similar and 00000 would be to Track whatever else of that style.

Is that really what you want the response to be? Do you really want someone to move to a different app because some people think phosphates are not worth tracking?
Ideally no, and I think it's a bit premature to think that's the only solution. Right now there's a lot of initial thoughts being kicked back & forth, but before we get too far ahead of ourselves, let's give our Admin @Leebo and programmers a chance to evaluate potential options. There may be a good solution a few clicks away. But be patient as there are other forum programming issues at-hand. One thing I've come to learn here on this forum, Lee does his best to please all concerned, and if there is a reasonable solution he will find it. If it's not feasible, he will provide a thorough explanation as to why that makes sense to everyone.

Reactions: Newdude
Ideally no, and I think it's a bit premature to think that's the only solution. Right now there's a lot of initial thoughts being kicked back & forth, but before we get too far ahead of ourselves, let's give our Admin @Leebo and programmers a chance to evaluate potential options. There may be a good solution a few clicks away. But be patient as there are other forum programming issues at-hand. One thing I've come to learn here on this forum, Lee does his best to please all concerned, and if there is a reasonable solution he will find it. If it's not feasible, he will provide a thorough explanation as to why that makes sense to everyone.
I totally understand the process. I deal with a lot of project management. I was not referring to the process that @Leebo is following. I think it’s great actually and he has been awesome trying to understand the request.

I am referring to the people that comment totally dismissing the request and seem to think no time should be spent on it simply for the fact that it started as a request to track phosphates and phosphates have no place at TFP because that’s what was written on the tablets that mosses brought down the mountain.

While I see literally no point at all in tracking phosphates, I spent more than enough years designing software enhancements and writing requirements, so I really can't help myself and I'll add my 2¢.

I do think a user-configurable variable that can be tracked from test-to-test could be a fairly useful feature to add. For simplicity's sake and not having to mess with your existing APIs and database schema or whatever it is you've all designed between the PoolMath app and the forum-based "cloud" logs, just make it a local-only value.

Then again, it's easy for me to say when I'm not writing the code and I'm happy with PM the way it is. :geek:

Edit: Just wanted to say I also understand the position from "the business side" being that the app really is specifically tuned for the TFP method and nothing else, so why waste the resources developing something that wouldn't be used here?

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I have adhd… I can’t remember Darn. If I don’t write it down, it’s forgotten in about 5 seconds.

Or I can see how it trends

specifically tuned for the TFP method and nothing else, so why waste the resources developing something that wouldn't be used here?

Out of all the words spoken so far, these three quotes are my main take-a-ways from this entire discussion. These three quotes cement a place in my mind and will be accessed again in the future I’m sure.

To be clear, I’m not the one who sits in front of the computer and puts code into action. I’m the one who does his best to explain a problem, a request, an unexpected behavior, or whatever endpoint a user may have. I’m the one who tosses out ideas, solutions, or complaints the users maybe having……then the man behind the curtain then takes things and turns things into a path the end user will take. If I can’t clearly explain something to the magic man, we get nowhere, which is why @Benzimm86 your comment on adhd sticks.

Truth is, your end goal of just writing it down isn’t one that matches the masses. Most want to achieve the goal of using the data to answer a question……just like you mentioned in the second quote. Most wanna know trends, averages, how much, and so forth. Your goal of just writing it down though I’m sure isn’t unique, and it’s honestly one I never took into account. Just hearing that feedback is helpful. Thank you!

@dfwnoob your quote also stuck out as it clearly explains my personal endpoint. It helps display a goal I have. Truth is, PoolMath is heavily geared towards TFP and our teachings. It’s done that way on purpose…..cause we rock! That said, there’s a ton that’s not there yet, plus a massive market outside of TFP that’s untouched. My personal endpoint is to create a path that merges these two groups together and allows us all to do one thing…….

The World GIF

I’ve added a link to this thread and some thoughts to a tracker on GitHub so once we start-up again I’ll be able to reference them…..if I don’t, I too will forget. Thank you all for your feedback and support!!!
Lee

Just wanted to say I also understand the position from "the business side" being that the app really is specifically tuned for the TFP method and nothing else, so why waste the resources developing something that wouldn't be used here?
Absolutely correct. It's not about what we teach and has no bearing on improving the site. Yet one guy (with 8 posts in 2 + years) has us kowtowing to a whim of his liking. I don't understand that.

As I have said before, there are many improvements this forum needs that should take precedence over this but they are ignored..........why? Are these mundane improvements not exciting enough? There are contradictory guidelines within our articles that need correcting and polishing to make this site what it can be.

Instead, we are willing to waste energy (and MONEY) for something that is irrelevant to our objectives. That simply makes no sense.

TFP should be about improving and clearly refining our message. Let's spend time and energy on that and not on creating whimsical notepads to satisfy posters who have never been in the mix at TFP.

Reactions: .ben
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.