Phosphate tracker

Benzimm86

May 26, 2020
Could you add a toggle to enable phosphate tracking? By putting the toggle in the settings like salt and borates, people that want to track it can enable it.

In the wiki,

You specifically call out 2 good quality products, Natural Chemistr and Orenda. You could put the recommended applications listed on the bottles. Or don’t recommend a product or application rate. Just a simple place to track this would be nice.

• Wow
Reactions: Stump
IMO it would help mislead all the newbs grasping at straws that phosphates, not unsanitary chemistry, is their problem.

Many Pool Math users don't even know we exist. They found the app and just use it.

Let's see what @Leebo thinks.

Last edited:
The importance of phosphates in pool water management is debatable. TFP would endorse the viability of phosphates if it did that.

Keeping this forum simple with solid science makes it much easier for the newbs.

Reactions: setsailsoon
The importance of phosphates in pool water management is debatable. TFP would endorse the viability of phosphates if it did that.

Keeping this forum simple with solid science makes it much easier for the newbs.
You say the importance is debatable and from my experience it makes a difference. So that’s my side of the debate. And like I said a single toggle wouldn’t hurt anyone.

I would think the toggle is the easy part, but what it implies has a more lasting effect which this forum in general does not endorse. There is a Note space in Settings, where i keep my fill water numbers, you can use that.

Reactions: Newdude
@Benzimm86

Sorry for the delay in responding. I’ve seen this request or a similar one multiple times when developing the App and I’d like to figure out a way to help you out……I’m just not sure yet how. Can you help me fully understand a few things.

Can you help me understand the end goal of tracking this info? Is it looking to pinpoint a pattern?? Is it being able to track the amount of phosphate remover you’ve used?? What exactly are you looking to answer by using the PoolMath product? I’ve got a few guesses……but I’d greatly like to hear YOURS!

While those questions above may sound odd and maybe a bit rude…..they’re honest questions asked for a reason. I’d really like to create a way to assist you and others with your pool care tasks by using our product. Before I can do that however I’d really like to learn more about your goals……

Thank for the idea and for your support!!!!
Lee

but what it implies has a more lasting effect which this forum in general does not endorse
IMO it would help mislead all the newbs grasping at straws that phosphates, not unsanitary chemistry, is their problem
Mr Tivo and Mr Dude eloquently emphasize why this is not a good idea. Adding a tracker CLEARLY implies an endorsement of phosphates influence on pool care management which simply cannot be found.

Keep this forum and forum philosophy simple and understandable. Argue the phosphate issue in the deep end if you are so disposed but the idea is moot and it certainly has no place in PoolMath

Jon has taught me a key item over the years regardless if he knows it or not. There are two types of requests a user may make. One is a path while one is a destination. As developers we do not have a huge influence on the destination, but we have large controls over the path. It’s ultimately our goal to develop paths to help users reach as many destinations as possible.

The idea of a tracker is a path. It’s not an endpoint, there’s still something missing. I greatly want to learn what that something is before I can help design a path…..or even before I can comment if a path is needed or not. I’ve got a few ideas that may help @Benzimm86 but first I’d like to learn the goals they may have.

@Benzimm86

Sorry for the delay in responding. I’ve seen this request or a similar one multiple times when developing the App and I’d like to figure out a way to help you out……I’m just not sure yet how. Can you help me fully understand a few things.

Can you help me understand the end goal of tracking this info? Is it looking to pinpoint a pattern?? Is it being able to track the amount of phosphate remover you’ve used?? What exactly are you looking to answer by using the PoolMath product? I’ve got a few guesses……but I’d greatly like to hear YOURS!

While those questions above may sound odd and maybe a bit rude…..they’re honest questions asked for a reason. I’d really like to create a way to assist you and others with your pool care tasks by using our product. Before I can do that however I’d really like to learn more about your goals……

Thank for the idea and for your support!!!!
Lee
Hello Leebo,

When I am test my pool I like to be able to do it all at once and save it in one location. Then when all the testing is done, I can make my adjustments. Really all I would want is a toggle to be able to add it to the “log test results” page. I can then test my phosphates and move on to the next test. I now have a record in my history or my phosphate levels at different times. After all my testing is done, I can review my level and either select the product and see the suggested amount, or if you don’t want that responsibility, I can look at the bottle.

It would maybe even be cool to allow for a couple toggles where you could edit the names. It would be the responsibility of the app user to name them and do with it what they wish.

For me it really just comes down to a simple, one app to record my numbers.

Reactions: SumOfOneInteger
Mr Tivo and Mr Dude eloquently emphasize why this is not a good idea. Adding a tracker CLEARLY implies an endorsement of phosphates influence on pool care management which simply cannot be found.

Keep this forum and forum philosophy simple and understandable. Argue the phosphate issue in the deep end if you are so disposed but the idea is moot and it certainly has no place in PoolMath
Just because you have no use for it, doesn’t mean others don’t. I bet you would have more people track phosphates than tracking their flow rate, but there is a toggle for flow rate. I don’t have a need to track filter pressure but there is a toggle for that.

I mentioned to the app builder they could create a couple extra toggles that you could edit the name. That would give freedom to users to track whatever they wanted. You could track the number of June bugs you scoop out if you wanted. It has no bearing on anything but heck, now you would have the option as it’s part of cleaning your pool. I’m pretty sure this forum suggests cleaning your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just because you have no use for it, doesn’t mean others don’t.
We have no use for Orp, UV, Ozone, flocculants, etc etc etc either. If we enable them it lends credit that we approve of them.

But I'm with you on DIY toggles if that's even possible. (y) you could track whatever you wished independently of us.

Reactions: mgtfp
For me it really just comes down to a simple, one app to record my numbers.
So let’s assume you record these numbers, what’s your plan with this info in the future? The info could be in 5 minutes or in 5 years……what’s next after you record this data?

you could track whatever you wished independently of us.
This quote is where my head is leading, but I’m not 100% sure the path how we’ll get there. This is really why I’m wanting to learn what the end user will ultimately do with the data. I’ve got a few assumptions, but I really want to hear from users what they intend to do with the info they record.

Can 'notes' be easily moved to the testing page?
Putting specific items like phosphates, etc is only going to confuse the masses.
Anything that isn't part of the TFP protocol shouldn't be even an option in PoolMath - however, 'Notes' can be for anything and is non-descript.

Can 'notes' be tied directly to a specific log?
Users could track/monitor whatever they want.... phosphates, metals, stain treatment, major weather event, whatever they need that is specific to their pool.

No idea how to do it - or even if it could be done.
Keywords or hashtags or some other obscure way?

But I'm with you on DIY toggles if that's even possible. (y) you could track whatever you wished independently of us.
I quite like that idea. There are a lot of things that folks might like to track in their personal circumstances. Some with recurring staining problems might want to track metal test results or sequestrant additions for example. Or an AA treatment. Customised test results / chemical additions (without calculations on chemical amounts) would allow that without going down every single rabbit hole and it draws a clear line between the TFP protocols and user add-ons.

I know that you can always add notes, but it would still be useful to have these additions appear in the summaries.

Reactions: Newdude
A blank field (or a couple of them) with the ability to title them would work.

Really we only currently know any value because of the title.

7.5 could be PH or FC.

250 could be TA / Salt / CH / CYA. Etc.

So give them some new fields and whether they track phosphates or Aaron Judge home runs, we have a happy user.

Can 'notes' be tied directly to a specific log?
Users could track/monitor whatever they want.... phosphates, metals, stain treatment, major weather event, whatever they need that is specific to their pool.

No idea how to do it - or even if it could be done.
Keywords or hashtags or some other obscure way?

You were faster with the metal examples. Got distracted while typing by "my" duck having to fight off another duck couple trying to claim her nesting spot. Pretty impressive to see an angry mummy duck.

• Haha
Reactions: proavia
And ZERO reason to add any of the non-TFP endorsed stuff to the "Effects of adding..." section or anywhere else in PoolMath.
All of that is unnecessary. Besides, most of that '"stuff" has instructions on how much to add per 'x' gallons anyway. It's good practice to use those hard earned math skill every so often and do a bit of manual calculations instead of using an app.

Reactions: mgtfp

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.