Palm City/FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Now that I'm temporarily left-handed for a few months things seem to be going wrong. First my wifi antenna/transceiver now the discharge fitting on my pump. I noticed a very tiny drip a couple weeks ago. Wife and I did the "my left your right" routine with my gigantic Channel Locks and tightened just a little. No good so removed the union and inspected surfaces. I thought maybe a little dirt or possibly a warped flange piece... reassembled and still leaks only a little worse now. So what gives? We took some very close photos with the phone and it appeared the water was coming from the male part of the fitting. Either leaking through the flange seal or a physical crack in the fitting. Close examination of the fitting revealed the first photo below. You can see what looks like a crack but not really certain. So blow it up a little and look again. Crack confirmed! Using phone capability and easy editing tools can be very helpful to get an eye on the damaged part without taking it apart. Magnification can easily reveal damage that would otherwise be very hard to confirm.

So actual pump body was cracked in the part that makes the male fitting that is molded and threaded as part of the pump body. Replace isn't cheap ($150) but there's really no fix for this that's long term that I want to mess with. Pump is less than 10 years old VS motor is only on 2nd year so I'll bite the bullet and fix it. So this is another failure mechanism for pump discharge fittings that I thought might help somebody. If you think you have an o-ring leak in this fitting then clean and reassemble plus the flange looks square and not warped look closely. You could have the same problem I have. No amount of over-tightening is going to solve this. In fact it makes the crack worse.

I think there are many more applications of phone camera to diagnose pool problems. This is an area for me where this old dog needs to keep learning new tricks.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

1603113637135.png
1603113878836.png

This is just the pool pump gods reminding you that you should have bought the IntelliFlo when you had the chance... :mrgreen:

Ouch, kick a guy when he is down. But still funny.

Chris, come down to West Palm and I will fill up your R-0013 for free ( I bought a gallon)

Reactions: setsailsoon
A gallon? That's huge! Thanks for the offer I just got a refill... just the normal size with the xl kit. Last's me over a year normally. But thanks much anyway!

PS I knew Jim would say that if he read this post!

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Just as a final follow up, I purchased the replacement pump body for $155 online and completed the job today with my wife's right arm and my left. Perfect, not even a drop of leakage. Even more important no arguments, no broken fingernails, still married, and all it's gonna cost me is a nice dinner out.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.