Phoenix Pool Chlorine CYA Management

scorpionsix

Jun 18, 2019
North Phoenix
Hello Everyone,

I will apologize in advance if this question has been asked and answered; if it has then please feel free to direct me to the right post.

I have been a pool owner for three years now and feel that I have a pretty good handle on managing pool chemicals for the different seasons. The discussion that I am curious about however, is that I am trying to find out if there is an alternative to the 3" chlorine pucks that historically raise my CYA to high levels the following year and prior to the summer months. In the past three years, I have had to drain my pool each year due to increased CYA levels (> 150).

With new water in my pool, the following numbers were observed by my LPS:
FAC: 4
TAC: 4
CH: 170 (Since I live in Phoenix, AZ this number will rise towards the end of summer)
CYA: 35
TA: 110
PH: 7.6
Copper and Iron: 0
TDS: 700
Pho: 25PPB

What I would like to find out from the group is that once my CYA hits 50 or around there, what are my options to maintain it around that level throughout the year? I have read about using liquid chlorine, but being a novice on this it seems like this would have to be done on a daily / weekly manner. I am looking for solutions that can be automated and maintained once a week.

Thank you in advance for any advice that can be offered!

Hello Marty,

Thank you - I ordered the recommended test kit using the link you provided. I agree that having a better grasp on the numbers will make managing chemicals more convenient that relying on my local pool store. The links you provided all contained a LOT of useful information - Thank you. In reading the material, it sounds like Liquid Chlorine is the way to go for me and the charts that you shared make sense. Although I am open to SWCG if there is a benefit to retrofitting my current layout.

I work as a Consultant and travel about 20 - 35% of the time for my job. The remainder of the time I am home and can quickly check chemicals and make adjustments as necessary using the chart. For the times when I am out of town, is there a solution that you would recommend that would help maintain FC levels. I am normally away from home no more than 4 days a week.

Thank you again for your help and I am looking forward to using the test kit recommended and better managing my pool. In the end, I really want to stop relying on my local pool store to tell me how my pool is doing.

This is a great forum and I am thankful to have come across it!

A SWCG would be ideal for you. We travel quite a bit and our pool stays great with minimal interaction. You do have to test FC and pH especially at the start to understand your pool.
You could also use trichlor while you are gone and just manage the CYA rise by increasing your FC levels and eventually changing out some water if necessary.

SWG.

Same situation as you. Travel every week. FC test twice a week (before I leave and when I get back). Everything else once a week. Once you learn your pool and get things dialed in you will pretty much only be adding acid. Maybe touching up the chlorine a little on the days you have a bunch of people swimming.

Hi neighbor, welcome to TFP. :wave:

What you described in your OP is what 90% of valley people experience with their pools. Using pucks here in the desert sun, where FC burn off is huge, will ultimately end up with high CYA levels. And will require a full drain and refill about every other year.
If you learn and follow TFP methods, you can cut that process way down. Because of our hard water here, a drain/refill will be needed from time to time to keep your CH levels down. If we get a good monsoon season every year, and you have your autofill plumbed with softened water, you can probably stretch it out to once every 4-5 years. :cheers:

Hello fellow desert dweller. I have been using liquid chlorine and pucks when on vacation as others have suggested. Using liquid chlorine is a bit of a pain in the summer when consumption is high, but pretty easy (1x per week or less) in the off season. I have automated my pH by using a Stenner pump to dose acid into the pool since consumption is pretty consistent. I've been considering getting a SWG to automate the chlorine side as well. I did not find the Stenner to work very well for chlorine injection here in hot PHX when I tried it last year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.