Phoenix new build: Thoughts on pool bid??

jacamarie

Jul 30, 2020
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello! Major newbie here. I've just discovered this forum and already feel so much more informed after sifting through pages and pages of threads!
I'm bidding out my first pool build (never even owned a pool before - we just moved to the Phoenix, Arizona area and have never before lived in a place where pools were common).
I've begun the process of collecting bids, and I would love any feedback on this one. I liked the design and my experience with the sales person, but it's tough for me to gauge the quality of the bid with my limited knowledge. It seems many on this form are partial to Pentair equipment, but this PB uses Hayward. Total bid is $38k plus tax.

- Perimeter: 96; Surface area: 432; Depths: 3-5; Dimensions: 19x29; Gallons: ~13,000
- Rectangular pool with offset baja/steps area: three entry steps with a large baja shelf

- Plumb Pool w Schedule 40 PVC, 3 Returns, Drain & Skimmer w Sep Lines, Plumbing Run
- Paraskim V Enhanced Deep Basket Skimmer w Oversized Leaf & Debris Basket and Enhanced Venturi producing over 70GPM skimming at pump low speed and 100+GPM skimming at pump high speed
- Paralevel Automatic Water Leveler with Vacuum Breaker and tie in to existing hose bib within 40' of pool.
- Wave Force w 6 Looped Venturi Jet Returns, AquaNaut 250, Vac Line & Plumbing Run
- Hayward TurboCell Salt Chlorinator for OmniLogic and ProLogic Automation for up to 40k gallon pools
- Aqua Star 360 Round 20" Flush Unblockable Color Match Drain
- TriStar VS900 Expert Line Variable Speed Pump by Hayward
- Hayward 48 Sq Ft DE Filter with Push/Pull Backwash valve and 100' of flexible line
- Filter Upgrade to Hayward 525 Square Foot Cartridge From 48DE
- Hayward ProLogic P4 Remote Control System
- Hayward 320 Color Logic light
- 4000 PSI Shotcrete w/Fibermesh added; 5 bar bond beam; American Steel Rebar tied and blocked w/3x3 tied in blocks
- Up to 320 sqft Cal Deck Lace w/4" concrete; 2" Cantilever edge; 6" waterline tile
- Sea Glass Pebble interior surface

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions!pool.jpg

Last edited:
Nice size. If you have a graphic from PB that would be great to attach.
Either Hayward or Pentair are top of line equipment and best to go with that which PB is familiar to set up and operate.
With 19 x29 I would definitely consider 2 skimmers and both plumbed independently. Wind has more affect on surface debris than pool circulation even though the seem to highlight the high flow rate of the proposed skimmer. But most of found having a skimmer at each end is best. I would also challenge why only 3 returns. My pool is free form but about 27x15 and I have 5 returns.
Do you plan to have a water feature?
You will also need to consider a cleaner. Most people moving towards robot type that runs off of electricity. if you go with that, you need a GFCI within reasonable distance of pool to plug it in. The alternative is a pressure operated cleaner which requires another pump and plumbing.
I am sure others (from AZ area) will chime in but this is my initial thoughts.

Nice size. If you have a graphic from PB that would be great to attach.
Either Hayward or Pentair are top of line equipment and best to go with that which PB is familiar to set up and operate.
With 19 x29 I would definitely consider 2 skimmers and both plumbed independently. Wind has more affect on surface debris than pool circulation even though the seem to highlight the high flow rate of the proposed skimmer. But most of found having a skimmer at each end is best. I would also challenge why only 3 returns. My pool is free form but about 27x15 and I have 5 returns.
Do you plan to have a water feature?
You will also need to consider a cleaner. Most people moving towards robot type that runs off of electricity. if you go with that, you need a GFCI within reasonable distance of pool to plug it in. The alternative is a pressure operated cleaner which requires another pump and plumbing.
I am sure others (from AZ area) will chime in but this is my initial thoughts.
Thanks for the helpful thoughts! I added a graphic to my post.
I was also wondering about the number of skimmers and returns; even with my very limited knowledge, I can see that it seems like most people have more than this quote includes.
No plans for any water features - we wanted something fairly simple and classic. We do plan on a robot type cleaner.

We are newbies with an IGP as well, but we have chosen the pool builder you are quoting. Our price is inline with what you have provided based on dimensions. Due to size constraints we are basically having a lap pool with attached baja shelf installed, our specs are similar to yours (11x 7 baja shelf & 9 x 37 lap pool, so 104 perimeter). We are using travertine coping and decking, artificial turf and we opted for in-floor cleaner. My husband has left it up to me do all the research and requesting bids and i'm not a mechanical person, so i had no idea regarding questions about the equipment. So I can't really help you there. We are happy with the price, specs and the relationship with the PM, so we were comfortable going with this pool builder, we were advised by the PM that their prices aren't the cheapest, but we spoke to neighbors, friends and families and heard only good things about the builder. So, time will tell, my husband doesn't seemed worried about anything regarding the pool install or the builder, i think it's just pretty basic here because so many homes have a pool. It's almost expected at a certain price point in homes.

Would you want to control your pool equipment via phone or tablet? If so you might be better served by the OmniLogic or OmniPL (just released).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.