PH Plus made water cloudy

May 30, 2012
Allentown, PA
FC 8
PH 7.3 (moving up to 7.7)

Hello,
This morning my pool looked great. I checked the levels and wanted to bring up the ph a little bit. I bought some bulk ph+ and added about 40oz. and it made my pool cloudy. I seem to remember this happening as well last season too. I am wondering if the bulk 50lbs bag of soda ash has impurities in it causing the water to turn cloudy? I know it will clear up in a day or two, but I was wondering if anyone else had ever experienced this.

Soda ash is the sledge hammer of chemicals. It raises your pH and really raises your TA. If your CH is in the right range, you will get clouding.
Can you post a full set of test results?

pH of 7.3 would have been fine to leave as is. Why did you think you needed to raise it with pH+?

Aerating the water will raise the pH with no side effects in the future.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for the link. I do believe my problem is scale. I would describe it as clearish white flakes on the top of the pool water (I didn't know what it was). I checked the CH again and got 160ppm, so it is at a good range. I'm not sure the best way to handle this. I read I could lower the PH, let the filter clear it, or adjust the saturation index. I am planning on letting the filter handle it, but I am not sure what adjustments I should make, so this does not happen in the future.

Scale grows on pool walls. It does not float on the water. And your CSI is way negative which is not conditions to form scale.

In the future raise your pH using aeration, not soda ash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.