pH not going up after adding pH+ (sodium carbonate)

May 30, 2018
Vienna, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hello. I am on vacation trying to balance my parents' infinity pool in Morocco. Visually, the pool seems fine: it is clear. However, the pH is registering very low. It is in the mid-80s at the moment and it hasn't rained since April. They've been adding about 150g of trichlor every night, which might explain the pH lowering a bit each day. Since last night, we switched to 12% bleach. Another thing my dad mentioned is that they recently added 1.2kgs of sodium bisulphate, thinking it was only a few hundred grams because he used a measuring cup instead of using a scale. He said the pH was really high.

The best thing we have at the moment to measure are Lamotte test strips. He also has some pH/Chlorine test kit with phenol red. Both the kit and the strips indicate the pH to be very low, lower than the 6.2 displayed on the test strip bottle, and the alkalinity is low as well, somewhere between 0 and 40. I know the strips work because the tap water is showing a high pH and alkalinity, and no chlorine.

In the past 2-3 days, we've added 4 kgs of Astral Pool pH+ with sodium carbonate listed as the ingredient, but it doesn't look like the pH budged. The alkalinity might have gone up a tiny bit. We could not find Borax in any supermarket. We added 3kgs 2 days ago, and another 1kg yesterday. We dissolved 500g at a time in a bucket of pool water and poured it slowly over one of the returns in the deep end. The next morning, we noticed some is left at the bottom of the pool, because when we vacuum the pool, we can see a cloud coming out of the returns. There are 4 returns all on the bottom of the pool. I noticed the pressure coming out of each of the 4 the returns is very low compared to my pool in the US with 2 returns on the wall in the shallow end.

My dad says the catch basin in the garage is about 4000 liters, and the pool is 117,000 liters. He says the water in the catch basin evaporates so much that they refill the basin with tap water every other day. This seems like it would be messing with the chemistry, no? Is this a common thing to do with infinity pools? For example, he says they've been using Trichlor for the past 24 years, and the pool is open year round. According to Pool Math, the amount they add every day during the summer should raise CYA by 0.7 every time, so after 120 days, it should be around 80, but the pool strips are showing 0. I think it's because they are adding fill water so often that the CYA doesn't have a chance to remain in the pool. My dad says we can't buy CYA here. I didn't see any at 2 different stores we went to, although they are not pool stores, more like the equivalent of Lowe's.

I suggested that for the moment, we stop the water from going to the catch basin, and just have it go down the main drain and return to the pool.

Thoughts?

Welcome to TFP.

Replacing water lost to evaporation does not lower CYA. You have to drain CYA out with the water to lower it. Could the water loss from the catch basin be from a leak and not evaporation? Then you would lose CYA.

I think you need to get your TA up to get the pH+ to have much of an effect. See what chemicals you can find:

• Baking Soda = big TA change, small pH change
  • Borax = Big pH change, small TA change
  • Washing Soda = big pH change, big TA change.
I would aerate the water as much as possible to raise the pH. Although it may have limited effect with low TA.

If you are adding high pH, high TA water to the catch basin it will raise the pool pH & TA in time.

Is fill water available? What is the feasibility of doing a water exchange and starting fresh?

Thanks. We will try draining some water and replacing with the hose. I think one of the problems is that the pH+ is not dissolving. We keep finding a good amount on the floor. We keep brushing and we can see clouds. The surface is concrete and covered with small square tiles. The filter is sand with a Hayward pump. I've never had to raise my pH in the US, so I don't have experience with soda ash/washing soda. What could cause it to not fully dissolve? Here are some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_8248.jpg
    IMG_8248.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8249.jpg
    IMG_8249.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8250.jpg
    IMG_8250.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8251.jpg
    IMG_8251.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8252.jpg
    IMG_8252.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8253.jpg
    IMG_8253.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 6
What you see in the pool may be precipitated calcium carbonate scale.

Can you get a full set of test results?

What you see in the pool may be precipitated calcium carbonate scale.

Can you get a full set of test results?

Marty, the pool is in Morocco with limited resources. It is described in the first post.

If I could, I would have brought a K-2006 for my dad, but it's not allowed on a plane. I contacted the closest distributor in Spain and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I should have brought some more comprehensive test strips with me, but I didn't think about it.

Ok. Any idea on CH, or grains per gallon hardness?

As has been stated, use baking soda to get the TA up. Then see what the pH is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.