PH low 6.5 TA high 170

butz219

Jul 30, 2019
Indiana
Bought a new test kit pool looks good but been fighting PH all summer was using test strip so thought I'dtry kit I show 6.5 and TA 170 with kit. I took sample to local pool store to see what's up they said PH was 6.5 but TA low at 69 the said raise TA so spent money to do what they said thinking there computer system would be more accurate. But why such a swing in mine and theirs. What do I do going forward

Aeration will drive the pH up. No chemicals needed. Use the search box up in the blue strip on top for aeration or aerator and you'll get a bunch of hits to give you ideas. But the process is not unlike shaking a bottle of Coke to make it fizz. You just can;t shake the pool, so you have to find other ways.

As an aside, if the new kit is a Taylor, there is a known issue with the R-009 on a new kit having static electricity which makes smaller drops which makes falsely high readings. The cure is to wipe the dropper tip with a damp paper towel before each drop for the next few tests.

What test kit do you have?

What is the cyanuric acid level?

What chemicals have you added recently?

A low pH and a high TA really doesn't make sense unless the CYA is super high.

I've fought all summer with low PH and high Alkalinity my PH is 6.8 to at best 7.2 my Alkalinity is high at 280 with test kit my pool supply store says when figuring in CYA I'm they say 189. So I'm confused how they figure verses trying to use test kit and it shows 6.8 PH and 280 Alkalinity but my question is how do I get ph up I've used Borax and put 4 boxes at a time and see little rise. What am I doing wrong I've never had this much trouble before Help

Welcome! :wave: Well, problem #1 is you are relying on the pool store for testing and advice. You'll go nuts doing that. :crazy: Here's some notes to help:
1 - Use your own TF-100 (or Taylor K-2006C) test kit. Don't rely on anyone else's testing
2 - TA in your area is typically high. Follow our Lower Total Alkalinity - Trouble Free Pool page to help you lower that TA to something more reasonable.
3 - Also use the following pages to help keep you on track. TFP tried to keep it simple with at-home accurate testing to make pool life much easier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.