Ph is high!!!

tracyd

Aug 11, 2013
North Kingstown, RI
Im having the worst time getting my ph down this year. We had equipment issues opening the pool and the pool went from green to brown over the month until the issues were resolved. Frogs are now breeding in there. The pollen is also out of control. The pump and filter are working great now but Im trying to get my ph down before slamming. I added 6 lbs of Ph decreaser that did nothing and just yesterday approx 50 ounces of 31% muriatic acid per pool math and my ph is still off the charts. I must admit using the chemical scared me a little. The directions said not to dilute it , rather place the bottle in the water and slowly tip the neck into the water I presume to prevent splash? Should I just keep adding the acid? Do I worry about TA at this point?

PH- above the charts
TA 50- tested before the PH down and muriatic acid
CYA 40-50

FC level can effect pH so that is not an issue.

It is really hard to have a very high pH with a low TA. Can you post a picture of the pH test?

Hmm - you said 0 FC, and you have not added any. Do this for me:
Raise your FC in the water using enough liquid chlorine to get to 10 ppm using PoolMath. Circulate the pool for 15 minutes. Test FC and CC. Report the results here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Water exchange is needed to remove the CYA.
If you would, try the FC add and test. It will point us in the right direction.

It does. But when you eliminate it, the pH falls, fast.
To check and defeat ammonia, if necessary, is to raise your FC in the water using enough liquid chlorine to get to 10 ppm using PoolMath. Circulate the pool for 15 minutes. Test FC. If FC at 5 or below, add LC to get to 10 using LC, circulate for 15 minutes, repeat until your FC is above 5 ppm after the 15 minute circulation.

If your ammonia test is accurate, you should only have to do a couple more rounds of 10 ppm and the ammonia should be gone. Then let circulate for a good hour and test pH.

10 is the max recommended for 0 CYA pools. You cannot add CYA until the ammonia is gone. You cannot SLAM without CYA. So keep doing the 15 minute test until you can hold above 5. Then you can SLAM.

It could, but it is easier to just follow the protocol as at the start, the FC is consumed rapidly.

Do use a 10 ml water sample for FC testing. One scoop of powder and each drop of reagent to clear is 0.5ppm FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.