pH is good but TA is low

Jan 15, 2019
Morgan Hill
All -

I have a new 15k gallon pool with a smart chlorine generator - CL is good, pH was a 7.8 so I added a little bit of muriatic acid; however the TA is coming back at 50ppm. How can I get it in the 80-100ppm range?

Appreciate the help!

Welcome to TFP.

Care to share what test kit you are using? And if you are going to hang around here please Read This BEFORE You Post and put details of your pool in your signature.

TA of 50 is ok. Dont touch it. pH of 7.8 is also fine. Don’t force your pH lower.

Raising your TA will just cause your pH to rise quicker.

Calculate your CSI using PoolMath.

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all of your new pool questions, even if your handicap is 21... :shark:

As long as your TA is 50 or above you are fine..

There is nothing wrong with a pH of 7.8.. In fact most saltwater pools like their pH to be at 7.8 or so..

I would not try to reduce the pH unless it gets to 8.0 or above.. then I would only drop it back to 7.6 or so.. Going lower will just cause your TA to get lower and lower.

At this point, I would do nothing.. Just wait a few days and test again..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.