Ph help

3 gallons of MA?!? Wow.

I added less than half a gallon at the beginning of the pool season and my pH went from nearly 8, to just over 7.
I know stupid move. My digital ph reader said 14 so I was eager to get it down, now I know it was wrong. I have a cloudy pool now. I can see the steps in the shallow end and the bench in the deep. I just want to swim and so does the rest of the family.?

A pH of 14 fails any reasonability test. Do not add chemicals unless you understand your testing and the effect the chemical will have.

A pH of 14 fails any reasonability test. Do not add chemicals unless you understand your testing and the effect the chemical will have.

This was the some of the best advice I read on here when I first found TFP. I was forever just taking advice from pool stores or other online resources, and dumping them into my pool. That is how I ended up with copper by using algaecide. (BTW, copper is bad for fiberglass pools!)

Listen to ajw, you need to know what you are adding, why, and the effects it will have.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just got back from buying the baking soda and borax. Can someone please tell me what's the best way to add them. Do I miss the baking soda with water before adding and do I pour the borax into the skimmer or into the pool water, and can I add them at the same time. Sorry guys for some many questions.

Get the baking soda in and go from there, any help in bringing things up is a positive correction right now. You need something like 15 pounds of it, did you get that much?

Just pour it directly in the pool. Brush to mix it in with the pump on. Test pH and TA after 30 minutes.

Reactions: Choward
Can you fill us in on a little background? What are you trying to accomplish? Do you have a full set of test results?

edit: When I replied to this it was a new topic. I see there is a little history already.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.