Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral Viron eQuilibrium EQ35
Someone I work with is replacing his SWG, for the second time. The pool company is saying it’s because his pH was “ out “.
This guy doesn’t pay any attention to his pool, that’s his choice!
I’m just interested, does a pH way above or below the norm affect the lifespan of a SWG?

High pH results in high CSI which makes scaling likely. In combination with removing the scale with muriatic acid (as recommended by SWG manufacturers, but not by TFP) the ruthenium coating on the plates will eventually die a premature death.

Very low pH is generally bad for anything metal and will promote corrosion.

That being said: "High" is relative. The pool company probably just calls anything above 7.6 high. With appropriate TA and CH levels, even 8.0 can be perfectly fine in terms of CSI.

Last edited:
Reactions: xDom and Mdragger88
That being said: "High"is relative. The pool company probably just calls anything above 7.6 high. With appropriate TA and CH levels, even 8.0 can be perfectly fine in terms of CSI.
I agree with your comments. I really can’t see this guy from work adjusting his TA and CH to keep his LSI in spec though.

He likes to brag about how little he does to his pool. It’s bizarre.

Reactions: mgtfp
I agree with your comments. I really can’t see this guy from work adjusting his TA and CH to keep his LSI in spec though.

He likes to brag about how little he does to his pool. It’s bizarre.
Maybe you can brag about how little you do as well following TFP and add in that’s includes paying for new equipment every year.

Reactions: xDom
Dom,

It also might have to do with the size of the SWCG vs. the size of his pool.

If he has a large pool, and a small SWCG, he will have to run it much harder to produce the FC his pool needs.

Could also be he has algae, and he is running his SWCG at 100%, just to keep the algae at bay.

Could also be he has zero CYA, which would mean he'd have to run at 100% just to keep any FC in his pool.

Could be any combination of the above... :mrgreen:

How long does his cell last? Has he replace it twice this year, or twice in the past several years?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Dom,

It also might have to do with the size of the SWCG vs. the size of his pool.

If he has a large pool, and a small SWCG, he will have to run it much harder to produce the FC his pool needs.

Could also be he has algae, and he is running his SWCG at 100%, just to keep the algae at bay.

Could also be he has zero CYA, which would mean he'd have to run at 100% just to keep any FC in his pool.

Could be any combination of the above... :mrgreen:

How long does his cell last? Has he replace it twice this year, or twice in the past several years?

Thanks,

Jim R.
He’s had the cell for three years. As far as the lack of CYA, very possible. He pays no attention to looking after his pool! That his business though 😂😂👍

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.