ph during slam

Jonsstihl

Sep 2, 2021
Quebec, canada
I am currently slamming my green mess.

background info

pool was quite clear before opening with a layer of grayish green dust on the bottom. I figured I would start filtration to mix the fresh water and brine layer then vacuum. when I started the filter It turned into a green pea soup mess. I attempted to adjust PH before slamming since FC is more effective at lower PH and my PH was high but it didn't really work. I started the slam anyways and the green is gone now it is just cloudy. tonight is vacuum and backwash but my ph is at 8.5

I added enough acid to get me to 7.8 last night but this morning it was still 8.5. I know my TA is kind of low but that's where the pool likes it. when it is to high I get wicked PH rise. I have been raising the TA gradually to sneak up on my target of 50-60

is it normal that as the algae dies it raises the PH?

What is your FC level when you did the pH test?

Your drop test pH test is not valid when FC is over 10.

Reactions: Mdragger88
i did adjust the ph but it didn't really go down so I figured I was a little low on the TA so i adjusted the TA while I was slamming. At first I thought it just needed to filter since the water was clear before I started the pump so I waited two days to hit it with a lot of FC. We just had a beautiful hot weekend so the water temps shot up. went from 60 when I started circulation to about 68 by sunday night. now its back down around 64

Has your pH meter been cleaned and calibrated stored correctly? The lower quality ones seem to get wonky really easy and so hard to trust. If the pH isn’t reacting as expected it may be due to the meter. Try the drop test when the FC comes down below 10ppm and confirm.

No need to adjust the pH during a SLAM when the FC is over 10. If you are really concerned about your pH level, you'll have to let the FC fall below 10 then revalidate. Usually best to just focus on the FC during the SLAM and leave everything else alone until you are done with the SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.